Bandwidth question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by granville, Jan 30, 2009.

Jan 30, 2009

Bandwidth question by granville at 5:00 AM (977 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I'm not too familiar with how internet speed works, but I have a few questions and maybe some of you tech savvy people can give me some idea of what's going on.

First of all, I have Bellsouth/ATT DSL. I don't know how fast it's SUPPOSED to clock at but I can give you my speed test results from speedtest.net:

Download- 3005kbps
    Upload- 307kbps

That speed is while the internet just sits idle with no pages or downloads going. Now, the weird thing is when I start downloading a torrent file. The torrent downloads at about 30kbps and uploads at about 15kbps (and yes, I've had far faster ones). Now, the funny thing about this is when I clock using speedtest WHILE I download that torrent. Here's my results on speedtest while downloading at 30kbps:

Download- 197kbps
    Upload- 38kbps

What a huge decrease in speed considering I'm downloading at just a few less kilobytes! Why does the internet go at such a dramatically slower rate considering I'm just downloading at a slow speed? I do notice it a lot while searching too. The speed decrease is very noticeable.

I'm using a firewall called Comodo BTW if that makes any difference.

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    First, make sure you note that the test is running in kilobits not kilobytes. Secondly, torrenting can be really taxing on bandwidth because you're also attempting to connect to a ton of people and a ton of people are trying to connect to you. So, limiting the number of connection when torrenting is a good idea. It's also possible that AT&T is throttling your connection because you use torrents. You can try to encrypt the torrents to bypass that measure.

3. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    No you are getting confused if your ISP says you have 3005kbps it means you have a 3mb connection. but when you download stuff it is in Kb/s which is different to kbps this might explain it better http://lyberty.com/encyc/articles/kb_kilobytes.html. 197Kb/s is about write for a 3oo5Kbps/3mb connection.

4. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    I think the speedtest kb are differnt then the kb that torrents use.
    Example:
    [​IMG]
    is my speedtest, but my download max on torrent is 30kb/s ish.

5. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    I have a 20mb cable connection and the most i get on uttorent is 400Kb/s on speed test i get
    [​IMG]

6. granville
    OP

United States
    That makes a lot of sense. And I always get kilobytes and bits confused. I know how torrents work and that the speed depends on the people who are uploading it. I was just confused at how badly it slowed down my OTHER internet uses. Connecting to hundreds of people at once seems to make the most sense. Thanks! [​IMG]

7. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    A 3 Mbit connection should translate to about 300 Kb/s download. For example, my results show 2555 kb/s down with 432 kb/s up. The equivalent of that is 319.4 Kb/s down and 54 Kb/s up.

I can max my connection on torrenting, but it makes my internet crawl so I limit the download speed to half and half for up.

8. granville
    OP

United States
    Then I guess a good question would be is speedtest.net measuring in kilobytes or kilobits?

EDIT: I think it's bits since that's what the middles says.

So, speedtest clocks in my speed at about 300kilobytes per second. I'm pretty sure I have a faster connection though since I've downloaded torrents at above 400 before.

9. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Just thought I would add to that, I think your ISP's are throttling your torrents. I have a 24mb connection, not that much faster then yours, and the fastest Ive seen a torrent coming in is 2.0mb/s. A typically well seeded film lets say 700mb in size from the top 100 off a popular torrent site usually comes in 20 minutes. When I had rapidshare I would get a 7gig 360 iso within an hour.

10. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You should check if your ISP throttles BT. Could be useful to know. Try this test
    M-Lab BitTorrent Test

11. granville
    OP

United States
    That site says they are overloaded at the moment, but thanks! I'll test it later.