Gaming Bandwidth question

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too familiar with how internet speed works, but I have a few questions and maybe some of you tech savvy people can give me some idea of what's going on.

First of all, I have Bellsouth/ATT DSL. I don't know how fast it's SUPPOSED to clock at but I can give you my speed test results from speedtest.net:

Download- 3005kbps
Upload- 307kbps

That speed is while the internet just sits idle with no pages or downloads going. Now, the weird thing is when I start downloading a torrent file. The torrent downloads at about 30kbps and uploads at about 15kbps (and yes, I've had far faster ones). Now, the funny thing about this is when I clock using speedtest WHILE I download that torrent. Here's my results on speedtest while downloading at 30kbps:

Download- 197kbps
Upload- 38kbps

What a huge decrease in speed considering I'm downloading at just a few less kilobytes! Why does the internet go at such a dramatically slower rate considering I'm just downloading at a slow speed? I do notice it a lot while searching too. The speed decrease is very noticeable.

I'm using a firewall called Comodo BTW if that makes any difference.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, make sure you note that the test is running in kilobits not kilobytes. Secondly, torrenting can be really taxing on bandwidth because you're also attempting to connect to a ton of people and a ton of people are trying to connect to you. So, limiting the number of connection when torrenting is a good idea. It's also possible that AT&T is throttling your connection because you use torrents. You can try to encrypt the torrents to bypass that measure.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
No you are getting confused if your ISP says you have 3005kbps it means you have a 3mb connection. but when you download stuff it is in Kb/s which is different to kbps this might explain it better http://lyberty.com/encyc/articles/kb_kilobytes.html. 197Kb/s is about write for a 3oo5Kbps/3mb connection.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
First, make sure you note that the test is running in kilobits not kilobytes. Secondly, torrenting can be really taxing on bandwidth because you're also attempting to connect to a ton of people and a ton of people are trying to connect to you. So, limiting the number of connection when torrenting is a good idea. It's also possible that AT&T is throttling your connection because you use torrents. You can try to encrypt the torrents to bypass that measure.
That makes a lot of sense. And I always get kilobytes and bits confused. I know how torrents work and that the speed depends on the people who are uploading it. I was just confused at how badly it slowed down my OTHER internet uses. Connecting to hundreds of people at once seems to make the most sense. Thanks!
smile.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A 3 Mbit connection should translate to about 300 Kb/s download. For example, my results show 2555 kb/s down with 432 kb/s up. The equivalent of that is 319.4 Kb/s down and 54 Kb/s up.

I can max my connection on torrenting, but it makes my internet crawl so I limit the download speed to half and half for up.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I guess a good question would be is speedtest.net measuring in kilobytes or kilobits?

EDIT: I think it's bits since that's what the middles says.

So, speedtest clocks in my speed at about 300kilobytes per second. I'm pretty sure I have a faster connection though since I've downloaded torrents at above 400 before.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Lee79 said:
I have a 20mb cable connection and the most i get on uttorent is 400Kb/s on speed test i get

Just thought I would add to that, I think your ISP's are throttling your torrents. I have a 24mb connection, not that much faster then yours, and the fastest Ive seen a torrent coming in is 2.0mb/s. A typically well seeded film lets say 700mb in size from the top 100 off a popular torrent site usually comes in 20 minutes. When I had rapidshare I would get a 7gig 360 iso within an hour.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1