Hacking Discussion Ban for no reason?

Have you been banned for just entering the Homebrew Launcher, and nothing else?

• No, I did everything you did and I was fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matson25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Beginning of October
About a month ago I tried using ReiNX in order to enter the Homebrew Loader, just as a tester.
Edit: I believe I was in sysNAND version 6.0.0 (forgive me for using 3DS terminology).
I entered a couple emulators, had some errors, so I reset the system a couple of times.
Every time I reentered through ReiNX after 2 or 3 tries for joyconhax.
After verifying mGBA and RetroArch, I thought it wasn't worth it connecting to the PC every time I turn on the console, and I go back to the normal boot.

Cut to almost a month later.
I come home after class, 3 days without playing anything online, and go to the eShop to buy Steven Universe: Save the Light (which had just come out).
I connect to the Wi-Fi (campus Wi-Fi sucks bad) and try to enter the eShop.
Error 2124-4007
Weird. Even if they got something, I shouldn't have been banned this late.
Update the system (from 6.0.1 to 6.1.0).
Try the eShop again. No luck.
I talk with the Homebrew discord server. Some people accuse me of lying, thinking I've done some big thing.

Nintendo Support
I go to the Nintendo website, and enter an online chat.
Woman says I should call, since she can't do anything.
Woman on the phone says she'll transfer me, because only her supervisor can do stuff.
Supervisor tells me they "take bans like these seriously" and "any information think could have been a problem is helpful."
I tell her "I did nothing that would break the ToS".
She tells me she will ask for a review of the ban, since these bans are "very serious".
She tells me I should wait for a couple days, then an email would be sent to me to tell me if I was lifted out of the ban.
She says these bans are usually for breaking rules like Cheating in games, pirating, impersonating people, or transaction errors.
I tell her I haven't done any of that.
She says she's sorry, and the call ends.

Aditional stuff
I know people saying they haven't messed with anything is suspicious, but I've told you the full story.
I will Update the post if anything new happens.
Please tell em if anything like this has happened with you or anyone you know.
AFAIK entering the Homebrew loader and using Homebrew apps themselves is not infringing on Nintendo's ToS. The problem arises with emulation and piracy. Edit: I have been notified this is wrong, but no one has given me concrete evidence. Edit: someone has given me concrete evidence I am wrong in this situation.
Edit: Many people have told me my title is wrong, and there was a reason, but I can't really change it, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ sorry boys.

Tell me if anything is wrong, please.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Matson25,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have been banned for only using homebrew for a while now, ever since firmware 6.0 came out. Nothing new. Further discussion should be held here though: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/

Also labeling the thread as banning for no reason is highly misleading. The Terms of Service, which you had to have accepted, clearly state you will be banned for hacking the console which you did with ReiNX and homebrew. Nintendo reserves all the right to ban you for breaking the rules.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

studio1b

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you modded the system and got banned deal with it why did you even call Nintendo you know the reason you said it.
modding the system in anyway is going against the TOS so suck it up and deal with it.

LordRahl72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done everything naughty thing possible on my Switch and I am yet to get banned.

However, I digress.

I doubt they will unban your console. If they don't, then go full on naughty on that thing and it will only be big Ns loss.

Matson25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If they don't, then go full on naughty on that thing and it will only be big Ns loss.
I don't want that tho! I was literally just trying out the HBL and that was it. I could barely even open any app without crashing.
I literally wanted to see if it worked. It did. I was gone. And people who do much worse are fine.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want that tho! I was literally just trying out the HBL and that was it. I could barely even open any app without crashing.
I literally wanted to see if it worked. It did. I was gone. And people who do much worse are fine.
If you didn't want to get banned you should have either:

1. Not ran unauthorized software(CFW and/or homebrew).
2. Made a clean NAND backup, kept your Switch offline and restored the clean NAND backup prior to going back online.

This is how people have gotten away with much worse without getting banned. You had errors in your log and Nintendo got those logs the second you went online and connected to their servers.

Also bans happen in waves, you were flagged when they detected the errors in you logs and once they review enough they send out a mass ban to those who broke ToS.

Matson25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is how people have gotten away with much worse without getting banned. You had errors in your log and Nintendo got those logs the second you went online and connected to their servers.
Yeah. What makes me madder isn't even the ban, it's that people can do much worse, even pirating, with no consequences.
Also that the bans aren't even for the accounts. They're for the console. Meaning, yeah I can get my games back, if I waste 300 extra dollars.

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You paid 300 dollars then took a risk. You knew the risks to be fair. Hard to complain about breaking someone's rules and being found out isn't it.

Sonikkua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I didn't violate the ToS!"

>Did thing that clearly violates the Nintendo terms.

c) Attempting to derive source code of, gain unauthorized or automated access to any of Nintendo's software used to provide the Service or any feature of a Service; hosting, intercepting, using cheats, automated software (bots), hacks, mods or any other software designed to modify the Service, in whole or in part; using the Service on an unauthorized device or a device that has been modified, including via the installation of jailbreaking software or by gaining root access; uploading, posting, emailing, transmitting, or otherwise making available viruses, corrupted data or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files;

Matson25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...