Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
BAGSFC r3
SFC EMU Unofficial Update
famicom11910.jpg

BassAceGold has released a revision 3 of his unofficial SCDS2 SFC/SNES EMU. He has announced that this will probably be his last update. Please see the change log for more information.

Change Log said:
• Adopted new release naming scheme and now has its own folder
• Improved audio a little bit
• Audio is now automatically enabled when launching a new rom
• Fixed audio disabling when exiting emu menu
• Improved menu stability (no crashing when switching cpu speeds, launching roms, or from disabling/ enabling audio)
• Fixed display mode 4, it now works like Display Mode 0, but different lines are chopped out so text in some games may be more readable or not.

download.gif
 Download
icon11.gif
 Project Post

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow, it's only been a day and he already made a new version with some nice improvements. I wonder if he's aiming for something...

Still, great work.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't thoroughly read the first post here and on the SuperCard forums till after I posted this. So it seems like this'll be his last release.

We'll see about that.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Even if you don't work on it anymore, I really appreciate what you've done so far. Overall the emulator is just more polished thanks to you (that and finally the settings save in a way that makes sense).

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I may have spoke too soon about this being my last release. I'm considering the possibility of recoding the entire emulator menu. This would allow me to easily add new settings to help tweak performance, improve the save state menus, add ini support for settings, improve over-all stability of the menus and also the addition of stylus input and MAYBE snes mouse emulation. However it is just an idea and I'm pretty bad at designing menus so the idea may not even get very far at this point. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for this menu, or would even consider contributing their artistic skills, I'll be on the gbatemp irc. I would not be updating core features of the emulator, just the front end. So please no "add speedhacks" or "fix x game" suggestions.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
BassAceGold said:
I may have spoke too soon about this being my last release. I'm considering the possibility of recoding the entire emulator menu. This would allow me to easily add new settings to help tweak performance, improve the save state menus, add ini support for settings, improve over-all stability of the menus and also the addition of stylus input and MAYBE snes mouse emulation. However it is just an idea and I'm pretty bad at designing menus so the idea may not even get very far at this point. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for this menu, or would even consider contributing their artistic skills, I'll be on the gbatemp irc. I would not be updating core features of the emulator, just the front end. So please no "add speedhacks" or "fix x game" suggestions.

Ok, here are a couple. Thanks for the updates, BTW. Several games no longer have crackling sound like they used to and CPU frequency 5 helps quite a bit.

First, make it so that if you set configuration options with no rom loaded those become the default for new roms. For example, if you start up the emulator and set the cpu frequency to 5 then anytime you load a new rom in the future the frequency will be set to 5 unless you change it. Of course, that wouldn't affect the per game settings already in place so if you wanted all roms to run at frequency 5 you would need to delete the .cfg file to reset all the game specific settings.

Second, a configurable hotkey (on a per-game basis) to open the menu. For example, you could choose between touchscreen only (the current method), L+R+start, L+R+select, L+select, L+start, R+select, or R+start. Of course you would still be able to use the touchscreen if you forgot which hotkey you set for that game.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wish the SC team could release the NDS-GBA source, cause it'd be cool if you could give it the same treatment as this.

BTW, there is a small amount of input lag on both emulators. Did you fix that problem here?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
nl255 said:
First, make it so that if you set configuration options with no rom loaded those become the default for new roms. For example, if you start up the emulator and set the cpu frequency to 5 then anytime you load a new rom in the future the frequency will be set to 5 unless you change it. Of course, that wouldn't affect the per game settings already in place so if you wanted all roms to run at frequency 5 you would need to delete the .cfg file to reset all the game specific settings.

i am completely against this. there is no need for a frequency of 5 for most games, only a few benefit from it. 3 fixed most issues during testing and 4 fixed the rest. i found that the few games that really could have used a faster clock speed are few and far between. with your suggestion i would be constantly lowering the cpu frequency (as its now the default) instead of changing it to 5 for the few select games that really need it. not to mention that 5 eats up the battery rather quickly on the xl.

instead leave the default to 2 and keep it so settings are saved per-rom, so the few that need special settings can have them. it would be rather easy then for someone to release a config file that is optimized for a goodset.

bassacegold, if you want to bounce ideas around i'm always on the gbatemp irc network in #acekard. stop by and we can chat about it.

QUOTE(YayMii @ Nov 11 2010, 09:56 PM) BTW, there is a small amount of input lag on both emulators. Did you fix that problem here?

i experienced that as well. it was so small that you almost don't notice it. i experienced it mostly when pressing up or down to browse a directory.

-another world

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
nl255 said:

i am completely against this. there is no need for a frequency of 5 for most games, only a few benefit from it. 3 fixed most issues during testing and 4 fixed the rest. i found that the few games that really could have used a faster clock speed are few and far between. with your suggestion i would be constantly lowering the cpu frequency (as its now the default) instead of changing it to 5 for the few select games that really need it. not to mention that 5 eats up the battery rather quickly on the xl.

instead leave the default to 2 and keep it so settings are saved per-rom, so the few that need special settings can have them. it would be rather easy then for someone to release a config file that is optimized for a goodset.

bassacegold, if you want to bounce ideas around i'm always on the gbatemp irc network in #acekard. stop by and we can chat about it.

The point was to make the default settings, including cpu frequency, user configurable rather than built in. Basically, if you change the configuration with no rom loaded, then that will be the default settings to use if there is no game specific configuration. Changing the configuration with a rom loaded would change the game specific configuration, as normal. That way the user can pick the best default settings, including cpu frequency, that work best for them depending on what games they like.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
nl255 said:
The point was to make the default settings, including cpu frequency, user configurable rather than built in. Basically, if you change the configuration with no rom loaded, then that will be the default settings to use if there is no game specific configuration. Changing the configuration with a rom loaded would change the game specific configuration, as normal. That way the user can pick the best default settings, including cpu frequency, that work best for them depending on what games they like.

i understand what you are saying. but setting 5 to the "no per-rom config exists" default setting means all roms would run at cpu 5 unless the user changed them. cpu 5 eats up the battery and is unnecessary for a vast majority of the files. why not just leave it that users who want 5 will set it to 5 for the few files that benefit from it? unless you plan to only play homebrew/games that *require* a cpu frequency of 5, in which case what you are suggesting is valid for your individual setup.

i may set one thing to use 5 and i don't want everything that loads after that to also use 5.

-another world

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
nl255 said:

i understand what you are saying. but setting 5 to the "no per-rom config exists" default setting means all roms would run at cpu 5 unless the user changed them. cpu 5 eats up the battery and is unnecessary for a vast majority of the files. why not just leave it that users who want 5 will set it to 5 for the few files that benefit from it? unless you plan to only play homebrew/games that *require* a cpu frequency of 5, in which case what you are suggesting is valid for your individual setup.

i may set one thing to use 5 and i don't want everything that loads after that to also use 5.

-another world

It wouldn't, unless you deliberately set the default to 5. As it is now, if you change a setting with no rom loaded (i.e. when you boot up the emulator but haven't loaded a rom yet) that change is discarded. What I propose is changing that so that if you change a configuration setting _with no rom loaded_ that changes the default configuration. Changing the settings with a rom loaded would only change the game specific settings, just like it is now. Perhaps a menu option that says "make the current settings the default for new roms" would be more intuitive than changing the settings without anything loaded.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
my understanding was you were basing this whole idea on cpu level 5. it is all a moot point as bassacegold is thinking about recoding the entire menu so there would be no need to work with the existing setup.

-another world

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
my understanding was you were basing this whole idea on cpu level 5. it is all a moot point as bassacegold is thinking about recoding the entire menu so there would be no need to work with the existing setup.

-another world

No, setting the cpu level to 5 by default was just one example. The whole idea is to make the default settings user configurable, just like the per-game settings are. The SNES emulators on the PSP do it by having a menu option that says "save as default settings". I just figured that within the current GUI, it would be easier to just say that the default settings are the "per-game" settings with no rom loaded than to have a seperate "save as default" menu item. Though if he is going to completely recode the menu, why not make the configuration file (which would contain both the default settings and all the per-game settings) a simple text (or perhaps even xml) file that is easy to edit manually (or using find and replace).

edit - in fact, your response shows why the defaults should be user configurable, as different people prefer different settings. for example, I find that in many games the sound crackles quite a bit even with a cpu frequency of 4 (that was with the official 1.5 version, haven't tested it on 3 or 4 with the new one yet)

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BTW, my DStwo has an overheating problem which causes DStwo homebrew to freeze after a while. This is the only emulator on my DStwo that uses the CPU and doesn't cause the DS to freeze.
Great job
yaynds.gif

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to give this a shot soon. Awesome work in advance!

I'd like to see Panel de Pon without a horrendous frame rate, but that's just wishful thinking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.