bad choice

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by littleshinobi520, Mar 4, 2009.

Mar 4, 2009

bad choice by littleshinobi520 at 10:43 PM (1,401 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. littleshinobi520
    OP

Newcomer littleshinobi520 Member

United States
    after having a r4 for quite a while now my friends also want a flashcart. since i new that the r4 was dead i decided to sugest a dstt to my friend who wanted a flashcart for his bran new ds. since i got my r4 for around 20 bucks i thought a 6 dollar dstt was a great deal. i then began to do some research and noticed that the dstt has many problems in that it dosent last laong and there are many fakes and fake killers.

did i tell my friend to buy the wrong flashcart? and if i did what should i do he has already bought it.

2. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    If he didnt buy a fake cart it's a great flashcart to use as it's less complicated to get around the fakekiller firmware. Although it doesnt have the features(slow motion, RTS, (etc.)) like what other flash carts have like CycloDS, it just does what it's supposed to do and that's to play DS games.

Im pretty sure your friends wouldnt care that it doesnt have those features anyway since the main reason that people get flashcarts is to play DS games.

3. littleshinobi520
    OP

United States
    thank you i really hope that it is a real kart. and if is not i hope i can get past the fake killer

4. jruschme

Newcomer jruschme Advanced Member

United States
    Personally, I don't think that buying a DSTT is a mistake.

It is, as has been pointed out elsewhere, primarily a newbies card, lacking in the advanced features of some other cards (RTS, etc.) The software is simple (if a bit simplistic) and suffers mostly for the fact that the ROM list is not automatically sorted. (Some would argue that the lack of subfolders is also an issue, but I think that is part of the newbie aspect.)

Many of the limitations of the default loader can be addressed by installing YSmenu.

As for fakes, a reputable dealer such as DX should be prescreening their stock and replace any fakes that slip through. So as long as your friend didn't try to save a few cents by ordering the CNDSTT-made clone, everything should be fine. (Skip the included USB reader, though, it's crap.)

5. littleshinobi520
    OP

United States
  6. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yeah, the DSTT probably isn't the best choice for most people. If it's a fake, you can exchange it at DX for another flash cart such as the Acekard 2.1 (you'll need to pay the difference, but it's well worth the extra $5). For not much more money, you get a better and more responsive menu that alphabetizes the games, supports folders, loads GBA games directly to the slot2, and has many more features than the DSTT.

-Bri

7. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I personally regret getting DSTTs for everyone in my family instead of AK2s...

The stupid DSTTs for some reason won't let me start any Emulators or Homebrew, ONLY DS games. >:/

8. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You're doing something wrong. The DSTT runs most emulators and homebrew just fine.

-Bri

9. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Remember, TTDS is one of the cards that DSision2 work on.

Also, does anyone else have trouble loading LemmingsDS on the TTDS? The graphics mess up on mine, using both the TTDS firmware and DSision2.

10. littleshinobi520
    OP

United States
    thanks for all of your advice guys. his dstt came in the other day. i examined it and its clear that it is real some i hope every thing eorks out for my friend