Backup Loaders comparison chart

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by AbdallahTerro, Aug 27, 2012.

?
  1. WiiFlow 4+

104 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. USBLoader GX 3+

146 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. CFG USBL Mod 45+

63 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. PostLoader 4+

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I wish I could add/fix everything to GX (it has a somewhat bad reputation from some users here).
    But I'm missing time and knowledge to do it quickly.

2. Etheboss

Etheboss Official LULWUT supporter

Feb 24, 2009
    Netherlands
    Around somewhere
    O.o, Dimok and Giantpune don't work on it anymore? Not ever?

3. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    They are currently focusing on other projects, but they are still here if I need help and they didn't leave the project.
    I'm currently the only one active on the loader's developement (but Dimok did some work on it since 3.0 release too).
    It's a good thing for me as I'm learning at the same time, but it's slower for you (I need to debug more often my own errors trying to understand why it's wrong!)
    I'm still unsure if what I do is correct, so I also tend to reverify many times and start working on other fixes at the same time instead of committing a new revision after each fix.

2 people like this.
  4. AbdallahTerro
    OP

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Ideas factory :)
    Great work so far Cyan,
    I think you should have a WiiFlow-like approach: committing after each tiny fix, users will do the testing and bug tracking is fairly easy with so many users.
    :)

5. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes, I will try to do it.
    But for example, I started modifying the files to add Disc2 detection and it requires a lot of work (few functions need to be changes which also affect non Gamecube games), and in the meantime Devolution was released with new features (Widescreen and noLed). I need either to wait that I finish the first task and submit everything at the same time, or remove the current changes to submit only devolution's changes and put back my other changes.
    It's possible to submit only a part of the changes too, if there's no file's conflict. I just need to be careful before submitting.

6. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    you can have multiple checkouts, one for each long term development and one for quick fixes
    thats (part of) what vcs are for

7. AbdallahTerro
    OP

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    I tested the 4 loaders for the way they shutdown the Wii:

PostLoader and CFG-USBL can only do "Standby" via menu or when Wiimote Power button is held.
    Wiiflow-mod-710+ or 4.0.2beta can do a "full shutdown" Wiimote Power button is held.
    USBL-GX can do both via shutdown icon with Standby being default action when Wiimote Power button is held.

I personally like full shutdown (turns off the HDD) but other users might prefer Standby mode instead.

8. themanuel

themanuel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 6, 2009
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I may be wrong but if you prefer full shutdown, you can configure it in the Wii SM to not use WC24 so it's always a full shutdown, regardless of the loader's options.

9. AbdallahTerro
    OP

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Thing is, I like WC24 too :)

10. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Cfg (and most likely postLoader) just use whatever shutdown method you have set by default. In my opinion, there is no point in prompting for a shutdown method when the user already picked one.

11. AbdallahTerro
    OP

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    I didn't add this shutdown info to the table and probably won't, just wanted to highlight the different features of all loaders for the sake of completion.
    :P

12. MassiveRican

MassiveRican GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante

Aug 2, 2011
    Creeping in the Shadows
    nice table bro. Why not update the official USB Loader Releases table as well. I would say yours is far more accurate and official, but you're missing uloader, coverfloader, mighty loader and neogamma to make it 100% complete ;)

Most of the ones I mentioned are a bit obsolete but they serve their purpose and work very well on top of having features available some of the most popular loaders don't have... i think lol.

13. AbdallahTerro
    OP

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Not gonna happen :)

14. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Half-a-job :P

15. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    There are SOOO many obsolete loaders
    (just check out these old poll threads)
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/154465-which-is-your-favourite-usb-loader/
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/193769-what-do-you-use-to-play-your-backups/
    so I don't see any need to update this for the other's on the official loader releases page.
    Even of those on that list, all the features that the ones that are NOT on THIS list have are included in loaders that ARE included. The only questionable feature there is that uLoader can run games off of an externals USB DVD drive but even the official list says that the 222 version of GX can do that, too. (I've only tried it on uLoader, though. Now that I think of it, I might try it for GX to see if it still works when I get a chance.)

16. AbdallahTerro
    OP

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    uloader has many unique features as well, such as automatic wad installation, WW/VC compatibility, cISO support (not sure if unique though), internal cover detection, skip boot....
    But it's the very slow loading, incompatibility with Rodries mod that make most people shy away. I still use it sometimes but less than before tbh (since the integration of neek mode in PL and WF)

17. AbdallahTerro
    OP

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Added WinnerTag/DuTag to OP table

Anyone knows if WiiFlow/CFG & PL can use the 2 usb ports simultaneously?

I know GX can with Hermes-rodries cIOS and d2x9 but have no idea about the other loaders

18. marcioap1

marcioap1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2012
    Brazil
    What does "Multiple Nands Support: 2 via ini" means in wiiflow column?

19. GammaGeorgeX

GammaGeorgeX GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2011
    Belarus
    I've always just used Neogamma r9 beta lol. I had also no Idea postloader was a backup loader.

20. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    I know WiiFlow can't.