Hacking Backup Gamecube Games on Wii?

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii is the only console I have (just got it)..

I'm waiting for my modchip to come in.. In the mean time I'm reading about how to use the Wii to it's full potential..

I plan to buy a SD Media Launcher so I can play old NES/SNES/etc games..

However, everything I read about backing up Gamecube games says I have to have an actual gamecube (you dump the game to your computer through a networking patch cable while playing Phantasy Star Online).. I don't have a gamecube at all. Is there not a simpler, one-click solution with just a PC? Downloading takes too dang long..

Backing up Wii games isn't looking much easier. You have to have a special drive to read the disc (LG-8164b or LG-8163b) using Rawdump, unscramble the data, burn the image file to a high-quality DVD-R, and hope it actually works..

Did I buy my Wii too soon?

-Matthew

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
There's currently no way to backup GC or Wii games using the Wii itself, so your options are Rawdump with a special drive or download. Whichever method you use you will still have to "burn the image file to a high-quality DVD-R, and hope it actually works".

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, didn't know the same method for backing up Wii games worked for Gamecube.. I swear after a weekend of reading, you think I would have come across this info..

I'll order the drive today!

Thanks

-Matthew

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, yes.. Sorry, I was just looking here in the Wii forums, not the News..

Sorry!

-Matthew

It's cool. You come across as a relatively intelligent person so I didn't give you the "Reed teh forums u n00b" schpiel.

grog.gif

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
You don't need that to play emulators. I've played NES, SNES. and Genesis/MegaDrive games on GC from a DVD. All you need is a program that can load the DOL files. GCOS can probably do that.

I don't have a modchip for my Wii yet (backordered).. Isn't a modchip required to boot GCos on the Wii (and AR)?

I'd love to have one DVD full of all my old SNES/NES games and play them on the Wii, I just figured the SD Media Launcher was the easiest way..

-Matthew

brpn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is more info on it..seems as if its an iso you burn

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3884

DLoad Self Booting Disc for Nintendo Wii Users
If you're an owner of Nintendo Wii with a modchip installed and would like to take advantage of the massive amount of emulators, games and demos for the GameCube here is a simple method. Normally, one would need to use an Action Replay to boot SDLoad (guide here), but with a modchip installed all you need to do is to boot up SDLoad which has been added to a bootable disc using XboxModder's Guide (here). Having your homebrew stored on a SD Card saves media and will let you manage your files more easily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0