Backup Gamecube Games on Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by 3DPiper, Feb 11, 2007.

1. 3DPiper
    OP

3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    Wii is the only console I have (just got it)..

I'm waiting for my modchip to come in.. In the mean time I'm reading about how to use the Wii to it's full potential..

I plan to buy a SD Media Launcher so I can play old NES/SNES/etc games..

However, everything I read about backing up Gamecube games says I have to have an actual gamecube (you dump the game to your computer through a networking patch cable while playing Phantasy Star Online).. I don't have a gamecube at all. Is there not a simpler, one-click solution with just a PC? Downloading takes too dang long..

Backing up Wii games isn't looking much easier. You have to have a special drive to read the disc (LG-8164b or LG-8163b) using Rawdump, unscramble the data, burn the image file to a high-quality DVD-R, and hope it actually works..

Did I buy my Wii too soon?

-Matthew

2. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    The RawDump program also works on GC games, just like Wii games. I see you already know about the program.

3. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    There's currently no way to backup GC or Wii games using the Wii itself, so your options are Rawdump with a special drive or download. Whichever method you use you will still have to "burn the image file to a high-quality DVD-R, and hope it actually works".

4. 3DPiper
    OP

3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    Nope, didn't know the same method for backing up Wii games worked for Gamecube.. I swear after a weekend of reading, you think I would have come across this info..

I'll order the drive today!

Thanks

-Matthew

5. Hooya

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    You probably just happened to skim past it. I mean, the title of this thread:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=43992
    mentions that it a "Wii and GC dumping tool"...

6. 3DPiper
    OP

3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    Ahh, yes.. Sorry, I was just looking here in the Wii forums, not the News..

Sorry!

-Matthew

7. Hooya

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    It's cool. You come across as a relatively intelligent person so I didn't give you the "Reed teh forums u n00b" schpiel.

[​IMG]

8. niklasnyfiken

niklasnyfiken GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2006
    Swaziland
    You don't need that to play emulators. I've played NES, SNES. and Genesis/MegaDrive games on GC from a DVD. All you need is a program that can load the DOL files. GCOS can probably do that.

9. 3DPiper
    OP

3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

Jun 13, 2004
    United States

I don't have a modchip for my Wii yet (backordered).. Isn't a modchip required to boot GCos on the Wii (and AR)?

I'd love to have one DVD full of all my old SNES/NES games and play them on the Wii, I just figured the SD Media Launcher was the easiest way..

-Matthew

10. brpn

brpn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2007
    United States
    Here is more info on it..seems as if its an iso you burn

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3884

DLoad Self Booting Disc for Nintendo Wii Users
    If you're an owner of Nintendo Wii with a modchip installed and would like to take advantage of the massive amount of emulators, games and demos for the GameCube here is a simple method. Normally, one would need to use an Action Replay to boot SDLoad (guide here), but with a modchip installed all you need to do is to boot up SDLoad which has been added to a bootable disc using XboxModder's Guide (here). Having your homebrew stored on a SD Card saves media and will let you manage your files more easily.