Backup cartridges?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Swiftloke, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    OK, so I'll get right to it: can I back up cartridge games into cia or 3ds files? Don't tell I can't do it on latest firm, I know that. But lets say I downgraded to 9.2. Could I take my copy of oot3d and turn it into a game on my SD card?

2. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    I think you can run a Gateway Ultra LAUNCHER.DAT from the browser, and there you can dump your cartridge iirc. You can also dump the cartridge's savefile, but you would need some kind of trickery I don't know about to get that exported save to work on a CFW.

3. artur3004

artur3004 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 31, 2015
    Gambia, The
    cartridge to 3ds - yes, gateway 3ds loader/ decrypt 9.2 can do it on <= 9.2. braindump even on all firmwares. don't know if they could dump directly into .cia, but with xorpads of this 3ds rom you can convert them really easy.

4. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    iirc braindump creates 3 files: exefs, romfs, and a cxi file. You would need to use makerom to build that into a cia.

5. artur3004

artur3004 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 31, 2015
    Gambia, The
    but it's possible

6. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
  7. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    OK thanks! Can't I get the launcher online?

8. MarcusD
    This message by MarcusD has been removed from public view by T-hug, Jan 9, 2016, Reason: warez link.
    Jan 8, 2016
  9. Trolling
    This message by Trolling has been removed from public view by T-hug, Jan 9, 2016, Reason: warez link quote.
    Jan 8, 2016
  10. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Grab Gateway's Launcher.dat, put it in the root of your card, then grab GW.3dsx and install that like a typical 3dsx file. Then just launch it with your favorite exploits (or Yellows8's Homebrew Launcher). It has an option to dump your cartridge as a .3DS file. You can convert it to CIA easy enough.

Zidapi likes this.
  11. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Braindump doesn't properly dump the exheader, so it's only useful for Hans or playing in Citra, which currently doesn't need a correct exheader.

Hiccup likes this.
  12. Cylent1

Cylent1 Community Smart Ass!

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    My 3DS: 9.2.0-20U
    1. Menuhax 2.1
    2. rxt tools
    3. emunan9
    I pesonally use the GW 3.6.2 beta to dump games carts with no problems...

PS... if anybody is interested, I made a easy 1 click app that combines gateway dumps.
    DOWNLOAD

Last edited by Cylent1, Jan 8, 2016
  13. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Can someone confirm that?
    Are the backed up games playable? After I convert them, can I install them as cias? My ultimate goal is to have all my cartridge games installed on my SD card, for both convenience and the concern of losing the cartridges. If I can, can it be done using without kernel? Don't want to risk downgrading but oh well if I have to. Will it install fine without kernel bc its legit on my console?

14. Cylent1

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    That is confirmed!

15. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Does the 3dsx work on 10.2?

16. Cylent1

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    I don't think it works past 9.2.0... But I am really not sure on that.
    But your best bet is to downgrade and use emunand for safety reasons. IMHO!

But I will update my emunand and find out.

***EDIT***
    My emunand is on 10.3 and gateway's latest beta is dumping the cartridge.
    And the game runs without issues on my emunand.

Last edited by Cylent1, Jan 9, 2016
  17. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Oh boy.

Firstly, you cannot post Gateway's launcher.dat here. It contains proprietary Nintendo code making it both illegal and against the rules to share it on GBAtemp.

Ditto on linking to Gateway's server, because it hosts files which contain proprietary Nint- blah blah blah (see above).

Finally, there's no need to mash L when running Gateway's loader via the browser exploit. In fact, without the red cart you can't boot emuNAND so it's always going to boot to the menu.

Hopefully, for your sake, the Mods are I'm a warning mood.

18. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    The brain dump link lead to something called uncart, which apparently requires Brahma. Does that work on 10.2?

19. Cylent1

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Going that route is much more harder and time consuming. Just use emunand9 along with Gateway loader and dump your carts that way.... much more simple!

20. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    I don't want to use emunand. I just want to have my cartridge games on sysnand without any major hassle.
    EDIT: I'm OK with some hassle. Failing being able to do the above, is there any way to downgrade, then have menuhax autoboot emunand via the gateway.3dsx?

Last edited by Swiftloke, Jan 9, 2016
  21. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    EmuNAND is easy to set up and a much safer route, especially if you don't have your 3DS hardmodded. You'll still need to boot up SysNAND with rxTools or whatever CFW you decide to go with. If you're going to go as far to dump your cartridge games and convert them to CIA, you might as well take the extra step to EmuNAND to help ensure you won't brick it and to take advantage of newer firmware.

22. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    So does that mean I'd have to boot up emunand manually? I thought there was a gateway.3dsx that could boot via menuhax?