Backing up drivers?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I recently came across a 40gb laptop HDD. Not much I can do with it considering my current laptop has 160gb HDD. Then I remembered my sister has a laptop... but with only 20gb space on it. Being the nice sibling, I agreed to give her the 40gb one. Unfortunately, her laptop is fairly old and my attempt to find video/sound drivers for it is fruitless so I figured I might as well try and transfer her old HDD to the new HDD. What is the best way to do this?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Qith

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Or, you could just copy the contents of you sister's 20GB HDD to your own 160GB one using the enclosure, swap the 20GB one with the 40GB one and then copy everyting on to that one. I've done this before, it almost always works (sometimes it will screw with your file permissions if you use NTFS, that sucks).
Even so, it probably is better to use a clean install using said Windows XP Pro Corporate, simply because it's sweet to have a clean install and, as fischju indicated, it probably doesn't need any manual driver updates. After you've installed, you could just copy any data you might need from the 20GB HDD to the new one using your handy enclosure (those things come in very handy when repairing laptops, you should cherish it!).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: old men discussion