Hardware Avoiding game updates

WiiNew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,
I wanted to know how you avoid getting game updates. We got a Dc2Key modchip installed on our Wii recently (in Melbourne) and the company that suppiled it also gave us games.
We do not have wireless internet at home - does this help?? ie Do you need to have an internet connection to get these updates.
I am obviously asking these questions as I am worried about the Wii getting 'bricked' and I have 2 young sons who seem to click on anything they see (I am sure they will click on the update if it appears).
I have read some forums on avoiding 'bricking' your Wii, and as my computer knowledge if very minimal I am getting very confused by it!!
Thanks for your help!

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the updates are on certain games, the game will prompt you to install an update if it has one but you can just turn off the Wii instead of accepting. You do not need to be connected to the internet for the update to install, as the update is on the disc itself.

If all you're doing is running games, the updates aren't much of a problem as they can't detect modchips yet, but they can detect homebrew. You can remove these updates from games by running WiiBrickBlocker on the ISO files before you burn them, assuming that you're downloading games. You can get the brick blocker here.

http://wbb.rockman18.com/?page=home&ln=en

You should worry about the game updates if you're running games from different regions (e.g. Japanese games), as those may semi brick your Wii.

davedeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
use starfall, a backuploader or gecko region free to avoid updates. you also can remove it from your images e.g. with wiizle diizle shiizle

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
the best way to prevent updates is to disable the wifi.

i got lucky when my housemate try to update my aus (pal) wii (wiikey v1) with Brawls that he got from Bali (ntsc-u i guess), but i recently changed my ssid on my wifi. so i just got the multiple weather n news channel (has been removed with waninkoko tool) but not bricked.

afterwards i came back to this forum n found out about the soft mod.

so, if u can get around installing starfall (i think this is the best one for u and the kids, it is seamless and the easiest to install. but less compatibility, with starfall the ntsc brawl has no sound and in black n white. works fine with gecko or backup launcher), and killing the wifi would be the 1st step i think.

davedeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
kutis said:
the best way to prevent updates is to disable the wifi.
can you tell me why? updates are only on games disc or you get a message from nintendo, which must be accepted to install the update. the wii hasn't got a auto update function!

QUOTE(kutis @ Jan 16 2009, 12:28 AM) but i recently changed my ssid on my wifi. so i just got the multiple weather n news channel (has been removed with waninkoko tool) but not bricked.
in which context stand the ssid of you wlan and the wii updates? yes...in no context!!! you also get the double channels if you disable the network and play e.g. ssbb ntsc on a pal console.

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
davedeluxe said:
can you tell me why? updates are only on games disc or you get a message from nintendo, which must be accepted to install the update. the wii hasn't got a auto update function!

did u not read whole post? my housemate did click on update from the brawl disk. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but, say If a backup game from another region that has the update removed from the disk, and it is still asking to update when u try to run the game... doesn't the game just go online and download the update from there? That's what i'd do if i'm to release a game.

edit:
QUOTE(davedeluxe @ Jan 16 2009, 10:43 AM) in which context stand the ssid of you wlan and the wii updates? yes...in no context!!! you also get the double channels if you disable the network and play e.g. ssbb ntsc on a pal console.

ok, timeframe explanation...
1. old ssid (the wii has this setting)
2. changed new ssid (so the wii can't go through internet, i realised this when i try to install cIOS)
3. brawl game updating...
4. fix the multiple channel
5. installed starfall and backup launcher

PS: i'm not trying to get on ur nerve dude, if i'm wrong, just correct me, no need to get angry... i'm just telling my experienced. and the double channel did not brick my wii, i can still play other games with the double channel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person