Audio Quality

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Seraph, Mar 2, 2011.

Mar 2, 2011

Audio Quality by Seraph at 9:26 AM (1,704 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Seraph
    OP

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Can anyone with a 3DS comment on the audio quality of the 3DS, both from the speakers and from headphones (mostly concerned about headphones)? I've read from one person it sounded great from his high-end headphones and good quality sound system. It would be great if it is on par with dedicated music player quality, or at least PSP's.

2. majkelpajkel

Newcomer majkelpajkel Newbie

Japan
    The speakers sound way better than the DS Lite at least, haven't tried DSi so do not know about those speakers.

As for headphones, I only have the in-ear headphones bundled with iPod Touch, but the sound is great with those too. I'd say that sound quality is close to equal to that of iPods, very satisfied with it.

Also love that they changed the position of the volume control - always changed the volume by mistake when playing my DS Lite.

majkel

3. hakujintanuki

Member hakujintanuki GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Yeah, the speakers sound pretty good and everything sounds nice with my BOSE earphones. There isn't as much customizability as my other MP3 players (Creative Zen and a iPod Touch), so it's not gonna take over as my primary music player, but I'll definitely throw a few albums on my SD card for times when I don't have my players with me.

4. boombox

Member boombox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
  5. Seraph
    OP

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Oops, I thought I posted this in 3DS Hardware, not hacking...could a mod please move it?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Good to hear it will sound good and I guess the limitation is the formats it supports (which now it actually supports mp3).

6. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the same audio hardware as used in DSi, just like they are using identical cameras...

7. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    If they did, and upgraded only the speakers, I'd still be happy.

Developers skimped out on high quality music because the speakers were so poor that no one could tell the difference until you put in headphones. (See: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days compared to Radiant Historia)

8. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    RedSunGamer reported the speakers are very quiet.

9. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    No, the cameras are better this time, they are more sensitive to light thus less grainy. Picture resolution doesn't matter on a small screen.

10. zergslayer69

Member zergslayer69 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That was a very good video coverage of the 3DS (yes I know I'm a bit late to see the vid). Props to gamespot. Wish I had a job like that!

11. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm guessing it's the same as the DSi's. Which are noticeably better quality, and much louder.

12. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Gamespot fed some direct audio into their live stream, and it sounds pretty damn good.

If you don't have an MP3, it could be a viable music player. Not very useful, but it can manage.

13. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    That doesn't say anything about the speaker quality, only the audio processor.
    The greatest audio system in the world is going to suck if you hook it up to a pair of cheapo unpowered stereo speakers.