Attempting to hack an NTFR font

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by omatic, Jun 20, 2009.

Jun 20, 2009

Attempting to hack an NTFR font by omatic at 9:17 AM (1,181 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. omatic
    OP

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm attempting to hack or otherwise get Jet Impulse to recognize an ASCII space character when it finds one in it's text files. I've been working at this for a while, mostly trying to directly modify the font. I've used DarthNemesis' NTFR Editor to dump the font, but I'm unable to figure out exactly why the space character (at position 0,0 in the font table) isn't recognized. I'm able to use a Shift-JIS space, but that space is much too big, and the text looks awkward.

I'm pretty sure that the game is using VWF, as the game will bunch together any letters that don't take up the maximum width. However, I have no idea how I'd find or modify the values for it. If I can't figure out how to get the space properly recognized, I may just modify an existing character, and use that as a space.

Anyway, any help in modifying the font or text recognition for Jet Impulse would be greatly appreciated, as it would allow me to move forward with creating a useful patch.

2. Shyvnal

Member Shyvnal GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Tried replacing it with one from another game? Makes life so much easier

3. omatic
    OP

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'll give it a shot.