Atmosphère's reboot to payload function gets improved

37918415.png

If you've been keeping up with Atmosphère's development then you probably know its latest stable version has introduced a feature to reboot from Atmosphère into a RCM payload without using a payload injector. You might also remember that the same feature only worked if the console encountered a fatal error or if it was triggered by a homebrew application, as rebooting via the power menu would still send you to either your OFW or RCM depending if you had AutoRCM enabled or not.

Well, @SciresM had already said back then that this behavior could be changed in the future and it's indeed now possible to do so!
This new feature is also customizable: you can choose whether to reboot to your own payload, RCM or leave the power menu's reboot function untouched. It should be stressed that the console will not autoboot into CFW after it gets shut down and, of course, you can only make use of this function if you're already running Atmosphère. So like last time, while it's nice that the need to keep a RCM injector with you at all times gets smaller with each commit, you shouldn't say goodbye to your dongles and jigs just yet as this isn't a substitute for a proper warmboot exploit.

You can see a video of the new feature in action in the following Tweet:

There are no official stable releases including it at the time of writing, however the commits have been pushed to Atmosphère's GitHub repo so you can clone and compile your own unstable version if you wish to do so (link in the source down below).

While this isn't the keyless 7.0.0 update some users have been waiting for, it's been said in the same Tweet that the non-byok update is still being worked on and is expected to be released soon.

:arrow: Source

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Any reference to Hekate supporting SD hotswap? Googling just leads back to this thread. I know Hekate supports hotswap when doing a NAND backup, but it also makes clear when to do this.

The hekate thread actually says to reboot to RCM if you want to remove the SD card.

Hekate (as in hekate payload) supports hotswapping sd card. You just need to do it before selecting launch.

bandithedoge

Trophies
Website
bandithedoge.com
XP
Country
Poland
Any reference to Hekate supporting SD hotswap? Googling just leads back to this thread. I know Hekate supports hotswap when doing a NAND backup, but it also makes clear when to do this.

The hekate thread actually says to reboot to RCM if you want to remove the SD card.
When you're in Hekate's main menu, you can take out the SD card, put it back and load into CFW.

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 'reboot to payload' option does not work for me. error: software must be closed. i've been using gag order as a workaround. anyone else having this issue?

D

Deleted-443739

For AutoRCM users, one thing which would be great is that power off would go to shutdown payload which would fully shut down the switch.
I also hope that we get a reboot to payload from crashes (if that's possible).
yes that's a really good thing too

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you just have to wait..
yes sadly we have to wait

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
But the current exploit is a coldboot hack :unsure: Its definitely not warmboot
(My opinion)
It is codlboot and warmboot at the same time.
You have to boot to recovery in order to get CFW. So that can be called a warmboot.
But everything happens before booting the FW, so it can be considered a coldboot.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(My opinion)
You have to boot to recovery in order to get CFW. So that can be called a warmboot.
But everything happens before booting the FW, so it can be considered a coldboot.
That doesn't meet the definition of warmboot. Warmboot means you have to reboot the OS you are exploiting. We don't reboot Horizon at all to get Fusee Gelee to work. It is completely coldboot because we never launch Horizon until after the exploit

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
That doesn't meet the definition of warmboot. Warmboot means you have to reboot the OS you are exploiting. We don't reboot Horizon at all to get Fusee Gelee to work. It is completely coldboot because we never launch Horizon until after the exploit
So henkaku for vita is what then?
You have to boot to RCM to then get the cfw (the switch has to be on, kinda).
So warmboot only applies if you have to reboot from OS? Everything else is not a warmboot?

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So henkaku for vita is what then?
You have to boot to RCM to then get the cfw (the switch has to be on, kinda).
So warmboot only applies if you have to reboot from OS? Everything else is not a warmboot?
Don't follow Vita scene too closely so have no idea what that is categorized as. But warmboot only applies if the exploit is launched after the OS is actively running. Coldboot is launching the exploit before the OS is actively running. RCM does not count as the OS; RCM is our entry-point. It would be easier to imagine RCM not as an OS but as a part of the hardware.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't follow Vita scene too closely so have no idea what that is categorized as. But warmboot only applies if the exploit is launched after the OS is actively running. Coldboot is launching the exploit before the OS is actively running. RCM does not count as the OS; RCM is our entry-point. It would be easier to imagine RCM not as an OS but as a part of the hardware.
You know he never called it a warm boot, right? He said it takes some of the annoyance out of the cold boot, which it certainly does. Why start an argument that didn't exist?

Reactions: peteruk

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know he never called it a warm boot, right? He said it takes some of the annoyance out of the cold boot, which it certainly does. Why start an argument that didn't exist?
Is this not calling it warmboot?
(My opinion)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I guess because I'm a stickler for what people consider coldboot. They want something akin to what they had on the 3DS with A9LH or B9S even though not only is what we have arguably better than those but not really feasible past firmware 3.0.1

KuranKu

I am KranK
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Install internal M0 chip , enable autoRCM = ColdBoot

What else do you need

Even Better ColdBoot solution

US $11.98 | RCMX86 Dongle Auto RCM Payload Support SX OS ReiNX RajNX for NS Switch https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b877AFud

Get this internal Auto Dongle . And you dont even need RCM jig or Auto Rcm

This has everything already on board ^^

Can you call this ColdBoot?! YESSSSS

Reactions: binkinator

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install internal M0 chip , enable autoRCM = ColdBoot

What else do you need

Even Better ColdBoot solution

US $11.98 | RCMX86 Dongle Auto RCM Payload Support SX OS ReiNX RajNX for NS Switch https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b877AFud

Get this internal Auto Dongle . And you dont even need RCM jig or Auto Rcm

This has everything already on board ^^

Can you call this ColdBoot?! YESSSSS
>Internal modchip
Ewww

Reactions: KuranKu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol