atmosphere stability.

ulao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, so I decided to go from SX-OS to atmosphere. Main reason is, sx-os is clearly dead.

I never used atmosphere before and it seems a bit quirky compared to SX-OS. Hoping it's just somethign I'm doing wrong.

Main issues:
Black screens, These things I keep seeing are a lot like the Windows blue screens. I'm sure the crash dumps mean things and maybe I will have to learn them to diagnose my issues. fortunately I only see this in home brew apps. but these are all apps I used all the time with SX-OS with no issues. Some times they run ok with atmosphere other times I get the "black screen". My SD is FAT32 and I have the latest atmosphere and latest firmware.

This software has stopped.
A good handful of games start the load screen and then crash. This is specific to certain games (example Mario golf - gives error 2002-4153 | animal royal, shredders revenge no error just said go back to home screen ) and consistent (they always crash). Games are updated, an firmware is at the latest approved version. Not sure how to make these games work. I tried installing to nand and SDcard both give this error. I am using emunand (does this mean installing to nand is still on the SD?). I pulled out the card ran a check and defrag in hopes it would move the file if in a bad spot, reinstalled but same error. also tried airplane mode.

smaller things I'm curiose about:
SX-OS has this really nice menu with FTP stealth mode, updates, etc. I found with atmosphere I need to download home brew apps to get these features. Is there something I'm missing, a hidden menu?
Can not use portable HDD's but I think this is known?
No way to mount a game, this was an SX-OS only thing?
What is a sig patch and why didnt SX-OS need it? - I put some sig patch updater on my switch hope runing that is sufficient?

Last edited by ulao,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, so I decided to go from SX-OS to atmosphere. Main reason is, sx-os is clearly dead.

I never used atmosphere before and it seems a bit quirky compared to SX-OS. Hoping it's just somethign I'm doing wrong.

Main issues:
Black screens, These things I keep seeing are a lot like the Windows blue screens. I'm sure the crash dumps mean things and maybe I will have to learn them to diagnose my issues. fortunately I only see this in home brew apps. but these are all apps I used all the time with SX-OS with no issues. Some times they run ok with atmosphere other times I get the "black screen". My SD is FAT32 and I have the latest atmosphere and latest firmware.

A good handful of games start the load screen and then crash. This is specific to certain games (example Mario golf - gives error 2002-4153 | animal royal, shredders revenge no error just said go back to home screen ) and consistent (they always crash). Games are updated, an firmware is at the latest approved version. Not sure how to make these games work. I tried installing to nand and SDcard both give this error. I am using emunand (does this mean installing to nand is still on the SD?). I pulled out the card ran a check and defrag in hopes it would move the file if in a bad spot, reinstalled but same error.

SX-OS has this really nice menu with FTP stealth mode, updates, etc. I found with atmosphere I need to download home brew apps to get these features. Is there something I'm missing, a hidden menu?
What is a sig patch and why didnt SX-OS need it? - I put some sig patch updater on my switch hope runing that is sufficient?

SX OS had FTP built into its homebrew menu, but you can just add ftp to the switch folder if you want to use FTP. As for HDD support, SciresM isn't a fan of piracy so he doesn't include sig patches in any of Atmosphere release. You still can install XCI, even though it is not mounting.

FS/Loader Patches allow you to run modified/unsigned ncas, basically unsigned homebrew such as homebrew NSP, es patches allow you to run modified/fake ticket.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much, yeah.
Atmosphere is quite stable. Rumor has it SXOS was based on an older version of Atmosphere. So there’s that.
Main issues:
This is likely due to the homebrew itself rather than Atmosphere. There are Improved versions of LibNX that many Homebrew Devs don’t keep up to date so it’s the homebrew becoming incompatible with the progress being made.
A good handful of games start the load screen and then crash. This is specific to certain games (example Mario golf - gives error 2002-4153 | animal royal, shredders revenge no error just said go back to home screen ) and consistent (they always crash). Games are updated, an firmware is at the latest approved version. Not sure how to make these games work. I tried installing to nand and SDcard both give this error. I am using emunand (does this mean installing to nand is still on the SD?). I pulled out the card ran a check and defrag in hopes it would move the file if in a bad spot, reinstalled but same error.
Most likely due to Sigpatches. Unfortunately every release requires a Sigpatch update. The Developers of Atmosphere don’t do Sigpatches. This is an add-on that’s maintained by others outside the main Dev team for anti-piracy reasons. SXOS didn’t care and did everything bundled together so you didn’t see what was going on behind the scenes.
Nope. Atmosphere is just a CFW, they are not selling a bundled user experience and don’t concern themselves with other creature features outside the CFW. You are free to add sys-ftpd-lite or any other FTP sys modules. (It can even start at boot time so you never have to think about it again.)
known feature
Known feature
These are the bits that make backups playable. Atmosphere does not include them because they are anti-piracy. Automated sig patcher is fine. There are also apps being developed for Sigpatch creation on your PC and another to do it on the switch.

ulao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very good details.

So I think I need to find new sig patches. I'm confused on this as all walk thru's said use fusee.zip and when search I read that is no more. Also kept reading it comes with atmosphere (clearly not the case). Did some easrginbg only to find DMCA. Am I on my own to find them? If fusee.zip is not what I'm looking for what can I search on ? did something change? That update tool I have I guess does not work then. It was some home brew app to update sig patches. Do the rules of this form prevent anyone from sharing sig patches with me, I was pretty sure this was the place I got a link to some sig patch archive I downloaded (https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/)? if those are not up do date where to look? Maybe I did it wrong, I dup the two folders in the atmosphere folder on the SD and reboot?

Last edited by ulao,

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That thread you linked has most upto date sig patches. You should only have to extract the zip then drag and drop the folder to your sd

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Atmosphere on itself is pretty stable. What's making it unstable are custom sysmodules and unpolished homebrew.
You didn't see that with SX OS since main features were designed by SX OS devs around SX OS and you didn't have an urge to use that many external tools as on Atmosphere (some even are not supported on SX OS).

It's like comparing Apple (SX OS) to Linux (Atmosphere). Linux gives you much more freedom but it's easy to make it unusable by inexperienced users.
And one main issue that seems it may be related to you - Atmosphere was not designed to run piracy copies. So blaming Atmosphere for issues with running pirated games is little eh...

Reactions: binkinator

ulao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not using any sys mods, and sure I will avoid hombrew. but apparently I have the latest sig patches. Still see %50 of my games stop running after the load screen. Any other ideas?

"Atmosphere was not designed to run piracy copies." Fair enough, people seem to use it for that, so this is more of a don't ask here?

ulao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by ulao,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it