Gaming Asus Laptop Freezes on Wakeup

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, just got a gaming laptop off Amazon, an Asus G74SX, and it works really well and all, except when I put it in sleep mode or hibernation. For some reason, when it wakes up, the laptop is fine for a few seconds until the screen freezes completely, leaving me with no choice but to force shutdown.

I've looked around and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. I suspect it has something to do with the graphic card's driver (laptop comes with GTX 560m). I noticed the problem after I updated the driver (Physx didn't work), and I was hoping to find a way to use the latest driver version or at least something newer than the year-old driver that comes pre-shipped (I can't confirm that the bug doesn't happen with the old driver).

If anyone can give some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It was brand new or used?

If it freeze once you wake it up from hibernation, it's either a bad driver (you might want to update every single driver of your computer to the latest stable version, there are some tools on the internet that can scan your computer and shows you every updates.), also update your windows, hibernation is known to be a hit or miss, I've almost never used it (I wont die of waiting a few extra minutes for my laptop to boot up, and it save some GB of space :) ).

Or it's a faulty device inside your computer or connected to your computer, if you have some usb stuff you might want to disconnect them.

Or it's faulty RAM, works fine for normal launch, but after hibernation (the whole system memory gets copied from the HDD to the RAM) the ram gets somehow corrupted => freeze, If you have two ram stick try to remove one, still freeze? retry with the other one, works? throw away the faulty ram.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's brand new, and still covered by Amazon warranty in fact.

I'll update the drivers, don't see what could go worse.

Only usb device is a mouse, I'll take it out of the computer next time right before I "wake it up" (by the way, sleep mode too)

Important thing to note is that is seems to happen after the laptop has been sleeping for a long time, I'd say half an hour/an hour. Since I've got 12gb of ram, this might take a while to test.

I'll post back after I've tried these, and thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk