Hacking Arm9loaderhax cold boot CFW on sysnand

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Wait so, if I hardmod my 3DS and install Arm9loaderHax this means I can use CFW on sysNAND in the latest FW and completely get rid of emuNAND?

The point of emuNAND is twofold in that it allows you to have CFW access on lates FW which can't be done on sysNAND, while also being able to interact with the NAND easier, hardmod takes care of 2nd issue, but 1st issue still requires emuNAND.
Well yes, that's the whole point of going to A9LH; to get rid of emuNAND and use sysNAND with patches without going through some timetaking steps (for eg. autoboot menuhax works when sysNAND is about to show home menu, then has to run the exploit and then start the whole process again to boot patched sysNAND or emuNAND).

A9LH does the patches well before the screen initializez. So you are in patched sysNAND in under 10 seconds from coldboot.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
emuNAND is still quite a viable choice with A9LH, for those who don't like to mess with sysNAND beyond installing GBA/DSi stuff, like myself. On my system, emuNAND boots just as fast as sysNAND does, thanks to A9LH. Even if A9LH sysNAND mode is a lot safer now than it used to be, I still won't take any risks with it.

I'm getting a bit off-topic though, I think.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1-2-3 will bring you an updated system with no way of reinstalling A9LH. You have to just setup ReiNand now and do the things you mentioned (you can use Decrypt9 if you boot SysNAND with 9.0 FIRM with L+R, until you turn the updatedsysnand flag on).
Ahh ok, I understand that part. So, the updated sequence would be:

• Install the modified ReiNand files and payload to boot Rei to sysnand on cold boot
  • Update sysnand to 10.5
  • Run Decrypt9 and dump the emunand partitions except FIRM0 and FIRM1
  • Inject the emunand partitions into sysnand (does decrypt9 do this?)
  • Copy the contents of the emunand Nintendo 3DS folder to sysnand Nintendo 3DS folder

How's that?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Copy the contents of the emunand Nintendo 3DS folder to sysnand Nintendo 3DS folder

That would be an unnecessary step I think, since your sysNAND would then be using the movable.sed from emuNAND (meaning it'd automatically use your emuNAND's 3DS folder).

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That would be an unnecessary step I think, since your sysNAND would then be using the movable.sed from emuNAND (meaning it'd automatically use your emuNAND's 3DS folder).
Ah, so they would effectively be linked nands again? (Not that this matters as I would be deleting the emunand partition once this was all done).

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Correct. They'd be one and the same, as if you had just made a fresh emuNAND.
Great, thanks buddy. I'm going to try this now with a spare microSD card, and I'll write up a tutorial as I go in case others want to migrate from emunand to sysnand. I'll credit everyone who helped in this thread as I would really be writing up what you all helped me to do anyway ;)

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great, thanks buddy. I'm going to try this now with a spare microSD card, and I'll write up a tutorial as I go in case others want to migrate from emunand to sysnand. I'll credit everyone who helped in this thread as I would really be writing up what you all helped me to do anyway ;)
thank you, i would be interested in this

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, so they would effectively be linked nands again? (Not that this matters as I would be deleting the emunand partition once this was all done).

Best to keep emunand and downgrade it to 9.2 after unlinking. You'll need it for running firmware 9.0 apps.

So basically sysnand and emunand get flipped.

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Would I downgrade it the same way you would a sysnand downgrade, using sysupdater?

Yeah that or do the same as you're doing above and inject sysnand into emunand. That will sort the linking as well.

Although I think you actually need to downgrade emunand via sysupdater to 9.2 before injecting anyway.

Last edited by Audioboxer,

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
You mean for when he goes to inject emuNAND partitions to sysNAND? That shouldn't be necessary, I don't think.

Nah if he wants to inject sysnand into emunand to 1:1 mirror his current sysnand/emunand and end up with 10.5 sysnand/9.2 emunand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?