Homebrew ARM9Loader -- Technical Details and Discussion

nfan2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The new update worked fine here on my N3DS, screen init just fine.

I think the issue is large capacity micro SD cards; try again on a small micro SD card AMD as mentioned above, hitting A blindly does he job done too.

Just tried again on a 16GB micro SD, same thing as on my 64GB.
What size are you using?

max_505

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't have my 3DS with me right now, so I won't be able to test it, but since .3dsx files don't run at boot anymore, will it still run when you launch Homebrew Loader from the home menu? Will any .3dsx file work once I use A9LH? If not, why?

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't have my 3DS with me right now, so I won't be able to test it, but since .3dsx files don't run at boot anymore, will it still run when you launch Homebrew Loader from the home menu? Will any .3dsx file work once I use A9LH? If not, why?
AFAIK, A9LH is running payloads at boot, not program files like .3dsx files. At least that is what I think, just from browsing the past couple pages. But booting into HBL from either your sysNAND or emuNAND is still totally doable. Not being able to boot directly into HBL is something a few people might miss, I guess, but given how fast everything boots with A9LH, it won't take long to boot into HBL from the HBL.cia if you've got it installed.

Reactions: max_505

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK, A9LH is running payloads at boot, not program files like .3dsx files. At least that is what I think, just from browsing the past couple pages. But booting into HBL from either your sysNAND or emuNAND is still totally doable. Not being able to boot directly into HBL is something a few people might miss, I guess, but given how fast everything boots with A9LH, it won't take long to boot into HBL from the HBL.cia if you've got it installed.
And if you want speedy HBL entry, no reason you couldn't have menuhax installed as well as a9lhax.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the guide yes. I think as a long you do everything correctly then you don't have much to worry about. Though honestly you'll never be completely safe without one.

Damn.

Seems a lot of the development for the various cfws has shifted to a9lh, which sucks because that means an exponentially greater risk of bricks for any user who is unable to install or acquire a hardmod.

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Damn.

Seems a lot of the development for the various cfws has shifted to a9lh, which sucks because that means an exponentially greater risk of bricks for any user who is unable to install or acquire a hardmod.
I mean, I think the riskiest, brickiest part is during the downgrading and post-OTP-obtained upgrading. By now people honestly should be able to manage just fine without bricking their systems and without a hardware mod. So long as you can follow the latest guide, it is pretty easy and totally worth it. A9LH opens up tons of possibilities for the scene, so while it may be daunting to get working, it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

I do think, however, that the guide would benefit from some translations. I'm a native English speaker, but it must suck for some of our members who aren't when they're trying to follow the guide.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I think the riskiest, brickiest part is during the downgrading and post-OTP-obtained upgrading. By now people honestly should be able to manage just fine without bricking their systems and without a hardware mod. So long as you can follow the latest guide, it is pretty easy and totally worth it. A9LH opens up tons of possibilities for the scene, so while it may be daunting to get working, it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

I do think, however, that the guide would benefit from some translations. I'm a native English speaker, but it must suck for some of our members who aren't when they're trying to follow the guide.

It SEEMs straight forward enough, assuming you mean this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/OTP

My biggest concern is how likely bricks are to occur during the flashing process.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Damn.

I installed A9LH to my Old 3DS last night without a hardmod and it was relatively painless. Simpler than I expected. This included downgrading from 9.2 to 2.1, then re-upgrading. Following this guide it went without a hitch.

I'm not sure I'd risk it on my New 3DS. mind. The reason I did it on my Old 3DS is because I don't particularly mind if that breaks. But the install went flawlessly. Now running A9LH with AuReiNAND on my Old 3DS (while my New 3DS is stuck with Gateway booting through MSET due to running browserless 8.1!).

Last edited by sj33,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed A9LH to my Old 3DS last night without a hardmod and it was relatively painless. Simpler than I expected. This included downgrading from 9.2 to 2.1, then re-upgrading. Following this guide it went without a hitch.

I'm not sure I'd risk it on my New 3DS. mind. The reason I did it on my Old 3DS is because I don't particularly mind if that breaks. But the install went flawlessly. Now running A9LH with AuReiNAND on my Old 3DS (while my New 3DS is stuck with Gateway booting through MSET due to running browserless 8.1!).

Eh, if my O3DS wasn't sitting on 10.3 atm I would give it a try. Unfortunately doing anything cfw related on my O3DS at the moment will require a hardmod to downgrade it first.

Pereb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eh, if my O3DS wasn't sitting on 10.3 atm I would give it a try. Unfortunately doing anything cfw related on my O3DS at the moment will require a hardmod to downgrade it first.

You don't need a hardmod to downgrade from 10.3 though.

Plailect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It SEEMs straight forward enough, assuming you mean this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/OTP

My biggest concern is how likely bricks are to occur during the flashing process.
Is incredibly easy. I did a brand new 10.2 out of the box n3ds yesterday from stock to a9lhax in about 3 and a half hours, although I suppose I have an advantage since I wrote the thing :P

Most people will probably take more like 4-5 hours, depending. Bricks are pretty much gone now with the updated scripts, just follow all instructions and if you see any errors or anything stop and ask for help.

monkey69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is incredibly easy. I did a brand new 10.2 out of the box n3ds yesterday from stock to a9lhax in about 3 and a half hours, although I suppose I have an advantage since I wrote the thing :P

Most people will probably take more like 4-5 hours, depending. Bricks are pretty much gone now with the updated scripts, just follow all instructions and if you see any errors or anything stop and ask for help.
Thanks for your fantastic guide! I bit the bullet on Saturday and A9LH'd my Hyrule N3dsXL. Everthing went fine, even when I wasn't able to get into sysnand due to a menuhax bootloop, so I flashed an old 9.2 sysnand, lost A9LH, and had to reinstall. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yikes