Are You iOS, Android Or A BlackBerry?

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A good review of the Samsung Galaxy S2, this is the final page of the review (Page 15 !)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mo...view?artc_pg=15

I really believe this phone is an example of the oncoming power in the next generation of phones, to quote the review :-

"The Samsung Galaxy S2 has not only set a new bar for smartphones in 2011; it's smashed the bar, recreated it in its own image and put it out of reach of the competition."

In my opinion the Apple phones only have one Major advantage that the others can't match in that there is no fractured marketplace, one app written for the iPone 4 will work on all phones that it was intended to, whereas the Android, Blackberry and Windows Mobiles have differing specs which creates many problems with creating apps and supporting them, that is why there are so many companies behind Apple with apps.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Apex said:
lol, where's your Chaos Rings, Final Fantasy Tactics, Rage, Gameloft (Rip offs as they may be, they are still well made games.) and just about ever major gaming company releases? Oh wait, you don't get those, you're lucky if you get a 'port' of a shitty game such as Angry Birds which was a free flash game anyways. You're emulators? Ports. Our Emulators, Ports. Hell half the time your ports are ports of our ports. Face it, when it comes to serious developers, Android is a second class citizen, IOS has all the big-time developers in it's pockets, and it's the reason that the 3DS is on the decline.
Eh? I was just stating my opinion there, I don't have a phone that has neither iOS nor Android.
tongue.gif

Still, I guess you're right about the awesome games.

I wonder if and how Windows Phone 7 will join the debate...
unsure.gif

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Apex said:
lol, where's your Chaos Rings, Final Fantasy Tactics, Rage, Gameloft (Rip offs as they may be, they are still well made games.) and just about ever major gaming company releases? Oh wait, you don't get those, you're lucky if you get a 'port' of a shitty game such as Angry Birds which was a free flash game anyways. You're emulators? Ports. Our Emulators, Ports. Hell half the time your ports are ports of our ports. Face it, when it comes to serious developers, Android is a second class citizen, IOS has all the big-time developers in it's pockets, and it's the reason that the 3DS is on the decline.
You're clearly neglecting the fact that 80% of the iTunes App Store is filled with useless junk nobody would purchase in the first place. Many quality games have made their way to Android looking better than ever. Oh, and priced lower. Angry Birds, your example of a "shitty game", is free on Android with no hidden costs. Android users don't have to pay for that "shitty game". This also applies to popular iOS games like Cut the Rope, and Fruit Ninja. All are now available for free in the Android Market, and boast the same features as their paid counterparts on iOS. You are also neglecting the fact that high-end Android devices boast much more raw power than the iPhone, meaning that some titles in the Android Market will struggle to run on the iPhone. The hardware advantages of Android allow for more room to develop high quality, visually pleasing titles for Android.

The 3DS decline has nothing to do with the 'big-time developers' flocking to iOS. It's that the times have changed, and the target audience of the original DS has flocked over to mobile gaming, due to the simplistic nature. How many 'big-time developers' for iOS can you name that can develop a fully fledged game that can be found on a dedicated gaming platform (console or handheld), price it at $40 or more a piece, and have it sell millions while receiving critical acclaim abroad? Hardly any.

QUOTEAndroids can be nice, if you pay for models that cost the same, if not more than an IOS device. Also, your family and friends care about how open-source developer friendly their smart phone is? Don't make me laugh, the average end-user doesn't care about those things.
The iPhone 4 cost a whopping $799 upon its release if I'm not mistaken for the fully unlocked version. Now, it is sitting around $649. The HTC Sensation was priced at $549 upon release, and it is boasting a dual-core processor in its body. The Samsung Galaxy S II is priced at $699 upon release, and is the most powerful smartphone to date. Comparing the hardware specs, you'll realize that you're getting much more for your money by purchasing that "Android device priced the same as the iPhone". Clearly if you have any logical sense in you, you'd spend your hard-earned money on something much more worth it.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
NONE,
dont need cellphone or smartphone. We were fine before they existed and I still am today without those stupid expensive monthly $ sucking devices. North america is also way behind the rest of the world in cellphone technologies. Ask anyone with a world phone how much our crappy network sux, and the big telecom keep it that way only so they can trap clients into stupid contract and suck more money out of them. And pretty much any smartphone is pretty crappy until its jailbreaked or hacked anyways lol.

Anyways, just my 2 cents
tongue.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ChaosBoi said:
I know more people with iOS than Android, and yet according to that map Android is more popular here. I wouldn't say it's entirely accurate.
Because you know everyone in the state, right?

trev1 said:
2.1,000,000 plus apps....compared to 40,000 droid apps
Numbers are way off.

QUOTE(SS4 @ Aug 8 2011, 03:15 PM)
And pretty much any smartphone is pretty crappy until its jailbreaked or hacked anyways lol.
I object.
Unrooted Android is still pretty awesome.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iFish said:
Why wasn't webOS taken into account? ;O;
Pretty sure webos is dead/was never alive to begin with

I am a recent droid convert. I recently sold all my iOS devices and deleted iTunes, QuickTime, and all that other apple crapware from all my computers. Feels good man.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm a very happy Nokia N900 user. It runs on Maemo5 (A REAL open OS, unlike Android).
I have a Triple boot on my device: Maemo5, Ubuntu and Android (yes, the Nokia N900 can also boot Android
wink.gif
)

There is no device yet that can acutally beat the N900 with the things that it can do.
(There is no other phone with such a sweet Qwerty keyboard as the N900!)

the N900 is the only device/phone that has TRUE multitasking! (aside with the upcoming Nokia N9 on September 2011)

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Dter ic said:
O yeah? explain to me how do I overclock a iPhone/iPod with one app?
hint: Android has one called SetCPU.
I did a really quick Google search and found this:

[youtube]YtUNMNOTg7w[/youtube]

That's not actually overclocking anything, it's just speeding the animations up.

I have an iPhone, but really wouldn't mind having an Android. They both have pretty similar capabilities once you Jailbreak/root them.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
The irony - I'm from a split household in NY. I own an Android phone (LG Vortex) my father has an iPhone 3GS, and my mom has a Blackberry Bold.

Surprised to see that Blackberry is still that huge here, I thought Blackberry's hype was dying out...

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HtheB said:
I'm a very happy Nokia N900 user. It runs on Maemo5 (A REAL open OS, unlike Android).
I have a Triple boot on my device: Maemo5, Ubuntu and Android (yes, the Nokia N900 can also boot Android
wink.gif
)

There is no device yet that can acutally beat the N900 with the things that it can do.

the N900 is the only device/phone that has TRUE multitasking! (aside with the upcoming Nokia N9 on September 2011)

Spec on that phone looks good for its day but my three year old Touch Pro 2 had a better keyboard than that with 5 rows of keys and was a good phone in its day. It now has an Android port and for some reason, someone got windows 95 working on it and linux.

htc-touch-pro2-1.jpg

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
funem said:
HtheB said:
wink.gif
)

Spec on that phone looks good for its day but my three year old Touch Pro 2 had a better keyboard than that with 5 rows of keys and was a good phone in its day. It now has an Android port and for some reason, someone got windows 95 working on it and linux.

Windows 95 also runs on the N900... There are many other platforms that can run Windows 95.
The first one was Symbian that could boot Windows 3.11, Windows 95 AND Windows 98
smile.gif

Followed by Android, Maemo and afaik also jailbroken iCrap can do that, all you need is just DosBox on your (powerfull) device.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Ringo619 said:
for the uk i bet its mostly blackberry and ios , all the friends i know have either one of them
Off the top of my head:
Android: 12, iOS: 4, Blackberry: 1, Nokia: 1.
I think it just depends who you know; a lot of my friends are geek-types so Android wins over here. And there's a shift where some people who brought iPhones 2 years ago are switching to Android when their upgrades come around after realising the iPhone isn't the only option. A map like this for UK counties would be pretty cool, in a not-really-useful-but-interesting kind of way.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If I had a smartphone, I'd get WP7, but I don't since I never leave the house. My wife has an Ipod Touch, but I didn't much like the interface, so I got a Zune HD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.