Are we here to help people?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mucus, Jun 1, 2009.

?

Are we here to help people?

1. Yes, that's what the community is about

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I'm here for myself.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jun 1, 2009

Are we here to help people? by mucus at 9:53 PM (3,448 Views / 0 Likes) 53 replies

1. mucus
    OP

Member mucus Orc Orc Orc

Antarctica
    I was in our IRC recently and the topic came up.
    I think that we are indeed here to help people, at least I try to help people all that I can.
    I know that I'm not really best at anything, but I do try to help people out all that I can.

There is a sentiment here, though, that people who are asking for help are idiots!
    I don't know about this, how would somebody know about something before they ask and find out about it?

So again, please answer honestly! and happy Temping!

2. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Wrong! Only idiots are idiots: Idiots are people who ask something they could find out in not even 1 minute BY THEMSELVES. Why don't they use the search function here in the Forum? Because they are idiots.
    Well that's my opinion.

PS: Yes, also I am here to help people and want help sometimes.

3. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I, while I require help from Narin or Aaniil for APPatches, suffer in silence. I am an R4 user but I don't like to be the stereotypical R4 Noob.
    I helped half a dozen people out on Mario and Luigi RPG 3 by supplying them with the necaserry patches and instructions to put YSmenu on their R4.
    I would say I do help people from time to time but I am also here for news, community and help [​IMG]

If you'd haave put a third option on there along the lines of "I am here to help and be helped" I would have voted for that but I voted for the first one.
    I'm here for F.U.N >D

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I help those who help themselves.

5. mucus
    OP

Member mucus Orc Orc Orc

Antarctica
    We are all here for help! DUH!
    I think everyone here asks at least 1 person for help at least 1 time.
    So putting that option in, everyone would vote for it, i wanted a yes or no response, you want choices vote on why you came here!

6. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    I'm just here for shitz and gigglez

7. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Yeah....here for community..I came here to look for help, and offer myself in any way to help others..

And I'm very satisfied how it turned out!

8. Jackreyes

Jackreyes Newbie

There is something about this site that makes you want to help, I'm not sure what.

I imagine most people come here looking for help, and staying because they got that help. Then in turn helping others. Its all about 'give and take' really, like most communities, but this one is very well run, I think thats the difference.

9. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Yes, we should help one another because we have a good heart and mercy but if someone asked for help then leave and never come back and be part of this community then someone is a jerk! Anyway, someone should stay here and be part of this community after someone help one another. . [​IMG]

10. mucus
    OP

Member mucus Orc Orc Orc

Antarctica
    That's a good point, the folks who do the running make sure to help people along, make sure people that need help get help, and all that good jazz. So I agree a big part of the community comes from the leaders around here!
    But most of the support comes from members.

11. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    I joined GBAtemp my first... When I got myself an R4DS. At the moment, I was pretty noobish... Even though I was still reading the reviews, all I did pay attention to was that a fake R4DS is one with internal Flash memory. Later on, I caught up with myself and read more about fake R4DS. got into a conclusion it was fake... Since it wasn't flush... And someone posted up a pic and mine was exactly the same.

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I try to help when I can.

I mostly come here to learn about new games and flashcarts and just plain have fun, but I do what I can......like when I started the cheat dat that Narin and the others now maintain. It makes me feel pretty special to have contributed something that has become so epic.

I consider all of us one big happy family. Family helps each other when they can.

13. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I'm not here to help. But it just so happens that I help alot. I'm here for the news and community (not everyone here is an angry fanboy). I help people when I can but I'm not here just for that.

14. Tozarian

Member Tozarian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'm not here to just to specifically help. But the reason I signed up for this forum was for help. I got it instantly and then started posting more.

15. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    "No, I'm here for myself." Actually, I like to help others, but most of the people needing help here are noobs and I hate them, so I voted no (and because I am not here mainly to help people). Reasons why I am here.

16. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    first for help, now im not so sure. elixir would put it as "spamming"

17. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    I help when I want to help [​IMG] When I'm not in a good mood I'll do something else [​IMG]

18. PuyoDead

Member PuyoDead Hey! Hey! Oh!

United States
    I like to help out however I can. It frustrates me to no end to see people treat others as if they're absolute idiots for not knowing something. Now, if someone is disrespectful of the people helping them, or just simply don't listen to the help they are getting, then I generally won't make any further effort to help them.

19. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I've been helped by plenty of people and I try to help where I can. The view where the forum is full of idiots is because there's lots of people who don't want to learn, they just want people to handhold them through their problem and also the fact that alot of people just can't be arsed to read posts and threads.

Take asking about whether GBA roms will run on a slot 1 card. There's a whole sticky dedicated to it and why they don't run, but the forum is still littered with people asking the question over and over. It would take 2 seconds to find the sticky but people don't. They just choose to ignore it and hit the New Topic button.

I've even seen plenty of cases where 2 people have created two topics asking the exact same question one after another. If they'd have taken just two seconds to look at the topic titles they would have found the answer to their question.

Psycoblasters Kingdom Hearts translation thread is another good example of why alot of users get called idiots. It's full of people asking when it'll be ready, even though it's already been said not to ask because it'll be released when it's ready. Some cases there 3 or 4 posts on the same page asking the same question, alot of the times it's a question that was answered the page before. If they'd have actually taken the time to read the thread they would have had their answer.

It's like that outside the forums these days though. People don't ask questions because they want an answer or help, they ask the question because really what they want is someone to agree with them and what they think the answer should be.

It's like the old proverb "Give a man a fish he can have a meal, teach a man to fish and he can eat for life". These days nobody wants to learn to fish, they just expect people to do their fishing for them. It's not just the way this forum (and many others) is, it's the way people and society have become sadly. People expect others to go out of their way to make their lives easier and sort their problems out for them simply because they think being alive entitles them to it.

20. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    I help. BTW who voted no? [​IMG]