Hacking Are VC/WW games and updates safe?

GameGeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi. I'm new in Wii hacking, so I've got some questions:

1) I would like to know if it's totally safe to install Virtual Console and WiiWare games on my Wii through illegal means. Meaning, can Nintendo detect that I have installed games that I didn't pay for? The version of my Wii's firmware is 3.3U if that matters.

2) My Wii is has a modchip installed (D2CPro, to be more specific [not to confuse with D2Pro]). When I'm asked to update my Wii, the warning says that updating my Wii can brick the system if I have unauthorized third-party modification. However, I heard that a update can't detect your modchip, all it can detect is the software. So that means that if I never installed the HBC or anything "illegal", and I update, then Nintendo has no way of knowing that my Wii is chipped, and updating can't brick my Wii (again, assuming I use the proper update for my region). Is that right?

3) If Nintendo realizes that I hacked my Wii or that I have unauthorized VC or WW games installed, can they ban me from using their online services, or brick my Wii?

4) When using the Twilight Hack, I have to use the file that was created to match the version of my version of TP, right? The problem is that I don't know what version is my copy, since it isn't original, so I don't have the original disk to check the serial. Is there any other way of knowing the version? If not, are there any risks if I try all the files until I get the one that is right?

5) Does anyone know how many Wii games are there that use dual layer discs? The only one I know about is SSBB.

Edit:
6) Does anyone know if my Wii will download a update if I go online? I have never connected with it to the Internet, but plan on doing it in the future.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#1: Currently there has been zero backlash, but it is entirely possible for nintendo to do something in the future with a future update. I'd just check here before updating if you're ever asked.

#2: Currently it's not possible to tell if a modchip is installed or not. It seems very unlikely that there will ever be a way for nintendo to detect if a drive type modchip (like all current wii modchips are) but it's always a possibility. Again, check the forums before doing any updates just to be sure.

#3: I refer to my answer to #1

#4: If you can't check the version, just try both saves. You can't harm your wii using the wrong save, the game will merely crash when you load it and you'll have to restart your wii and try the other one.

#5: There are only 2 currently know. SSBB and a japanese game who's name escapes me. There is a ripkit available that will make it fit on a single layer DVD, but you'll lose the videos for the 1 player story mode.

GameGeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I see. Thanks for the reply!
koji2009 said:
#1: Currently there has been zero backlash, but it is entirely possible for nintendo to do something in the future with a future update. I'd just check here before updating if you're ever asked.
So that means that until now, no one was banned from Nintendo's online services, and there was never an aftermath for illegally installing a VC/WW game?

GameGeekDoes anyone know if my Wii will download a update if I go online? I have never connected with it to the Internet, but plan on doing it in the future.
Does anyone know the answer to this?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
GameGeek said:
I see. Thanks for the reply!
koji2009 said:
So that means that until now, no one was banned from Nintendo's online services, and there was never an aftermath for illegally installing a VC/WW game?
nope, never. You can even send a hacked wii for repair and they'll still do nothing

GameGeekDoes anyone know if my Wii will download a update if I go online? I have never connected with it to the Internet, but plan on doing it in the future.
Does anyone know the answer to this?
No updates when going online, even if wiiconnect24 is on

GameGeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Cool, thanks. Looks like I was just paranoid
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0