Are there PS3 Back-Ups in Blu Ray Discs?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by adrian2040, May 2, 2011.

May 2, 2011
  1. adrian2040
    OP

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    I was on a work trip to China some days ago and I saw something weird while shopping on my free-from-work day.

When I asked for PS3 games on some stores, they brought me a tower of games. However, the cases where not as wide as normal and the cover seemed to have been printed with a slightly different ratio in order to account for it.

I wanted to open the cases to look at them, but they did not allow me. For some reason, I did not notice that they were wrapped when I asked if I could open them, but they were.

So... Were these games a rip off or are PS3 Games Back Ups on Blu Ray discs now available? I'm pretty sure they were not the real deal.

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    It is possible. It would just be more spendy than your standard back ups. Wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to sell you a knock off in China though.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I've not heard of any working BD-R backups working so far, so I wouldn't trust it without a demonstration. Supposedly DVD-R backup games work, but that's limited to 7GB at the most.

4. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Well, if you're willing to keep the BD drive (and by extension, the ps3 itself) disassembled to have access to the open guts of the BD drive in operation, I suppose you could make a BD-R(E) work, but I wouldn't count on it.

But personally I think a more elegant solution is if we could get some modified drive firmware like the 360 has currently. I know I'm itching for the chance, so I could finally put my modchipped ps2 to rest (in peace) and use the ps3 fully.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    burnt blu-ray games will never work simply because the ps3 will only read pressed game disc's

6. jordan_ch

Newcomer jordan_ch Advanced Member

China
    it's impossible! there are lots of movie backup blu-ray discs in china,but ps3 games' backup discs........i'd never found !