Homebrew Question Are switch homebrew using the network proxy setting?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using the Proxy to filter the network access on my switch.
It works fine with blocking nintendo's URLs request, but I noticed it never filters homebrew at all.

It did the same with the Wii and WiiU homebrew (blocked WiiU access but vWii homebrew still had access to network), so I'm wondering if devkitpro's libraries (libNX for switch), are just ignoring the proxy setting set in the console's network menu.

I'm using a proxy to blocks all URL except the nintendo's con.test. url set as whitelist.
doing a connection test :
- fail if the proxy is off. (good)
- pass only if the proxy is live, and I can see all logged blocked URL. (good)
try a homebrew : works (not good). it should fail as it's not in my whitelist of allowed URLs.

after the connection test is successful I can shutdown the proxy, and homebrew are still successfully accessing the network, bypassing completely that setting.
it looks like the official nintendo's programs are using the proxy setting, but not the homebrew.

I tried with many homebrew (PyNX, switchGuide updater, SD Setup, appstore, etc.)

Like I said, it worked the same way on WiiU vWii.
WiiU can't access the network without the proxy program launched, WiiU browser can't even access LAN if the proxy is not enabled. but vWii homebrew always ignored the proxy setting completely, and never required the connection test to access network.
it looks like no homebrew ever cared about that option.

At least, switch homebrew requires an active connection to be registered on Switch, which requires internet access. after the test is successful, you don't need it until you go into sleep mode.

It might look like a bug, but it's actually useful.
As long as the proxy does its job to block retail app access, that's fine. that's even a lot better than whitelisting all homebrew URLs one by one as it allows all homebrew without required user interaction, while blocking all other console's network access.
the only issue I might have is if a retail app also bypass that setting. well, I also use 90DNS just in case.

Last edited by Cyan,

cpasjuste

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using the Proxy to filter the network access on my switch.
It works fine with blocking nintendo's URLs request, but I noticed it never filters homebrew at all.

It did the same with the Wii and WiiU homebrew (blocked WiiU access but vWii homebrew still had access to network), so I'm wondering if devkitpro's libraries (libNX for switch), are just ignoring the proxy setting set in the console's network menu.

I'm using a proxy to blocks all URL except the nintendo's con.test. url set as whitelist.
doing a connection test :
- fail if the proxy is off. (good)
- pass only if the proxy is live, and I can see all logged blocked URL. (good)
try a homebrew : works (not good). it should fail as it's not in my whitelist of allowed URLs.

after the connection test is successful I can shutdown the proxy, and homebrew are still successfully accessing the network, bypassing completely that setting.
it looks like the official nintendo's programs are using the proxy setting, but not the homebrew.

I tried with many homebrew (PyNX, switchGuide updater, SD Setup, appstore, etc.)

Like I said, it worked the same way on WiiU vWii.
WiiU can't access the network without the proxy program launched, WiiU browser can't even access LAN if the proxy is not enabled. but vWii homebrew always ignored the proxy setting completely, and never required the connection test to access network.
it looks like no homebrew ever cared about that option.

At least, switch homebrew requires an active connection to be registered on Switch, which requires internet access. after the test is successful, you don't need it until you go into sleep mode.

It might look like a bug, but it's actually useful.
As long as the proxy does its job to block retail app access, that's fine. that's even a lot better than whitelisting all homebrew URLs one by one as it allows all homebrew without required user interaction, while blocking all other console's network access.
the only issue I might have is if a retail app also bypass that setting. well, I also use 90DNS just in case.
This is all true. But i dont see any problem if HB doesn't use the proxy in this case, isn't it?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks.
no, it's not a problem for me, on the contrary it's useful.
I was just wondering if it was a bug, or done on purpose. but if it's a bug, it's one I find useful.

It could be a problem for homebrew specifically using the proxy setting, or users who require a proxy to access internet and can't bypass it.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a