Hacking Are new PAL wii's still modable?

Monkey01

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey,

My brother is thinking about buying a new wii and get it modded, but are the new Wii's sold in the Netherlands still modable, or do they now have D2C chips too?
I've read here that D2C chips have arrived in the Netherlands as well, but couldn't find much of confirmation about that one, and that source posts lots of unconfirmed rumours as news as well, so I don't know how reliable it is.

So does anyone know if if you buy a Wii console now in Holland, it'll have a D2C chip? Or if it depends on which store you buy them from, which store is best to buy one for an old chip?

Thanks in advance.

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
I think D2C is now global, alot of shops had to send their wii stock back for Leg clipping last month and from last month all wii stock is either D2B with legs cut or D2C. If you buy one now, chances are its 100% D2C.

Your best bet is to get one either pre-modded or buy a "as new" one on ebay which is either from launch or 2/3 months old. I bought a 2nd machine for my living room from ebay, was a launch machine, but it looked new, the guy who had it kept his wii as well as i keep my stuff, all original packaging, etc.

I modded the ebay wii with a wiikey clone and everything runs fine :-)

Awaiting Metroid 3....

panteracfh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought one in June from K-Mart in Adelaide, Australia.
It is a PAL, D2B with cut legs, modded with WiiKey.

After 4 weeks it developed really really bad green pixel corruption on the GPU.

Here are some pics I took of how bad it was on mine http://www.adam.com.au/pantera/Wii/

I couldn't put up with it any longer, so I went to K-Mart last week and bought another one, that one is a PAL, D2B with cut legs.

I swapped the modded DVD drive from the horrible dodgy Wii with really really bad green pixel corruption on the GPU and put it into the new one.

Saved un-soldering and re-soldering the WiiKey again.

Now I do NOT use WiiConnect24, and I unplug this fixed one from the power when not in use.

It is a shame Nintendo release dodgy hardware out into the market.

dreadyz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I live in France a bought a new Wii a few weeks ago and according to the serial number, it should have a D2b chip. I'm about to go on vacation in a few days, but plan on having someone at Foxchip mod it for me when I get back. My girlfriend and I are actually taking the Wii with us to play at the summer house in the south of France so by the end of that time, we will have had the Wii for well over a month with several hours of usage.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Here are some pics I took of how bad it was on mine http://www.adam.com.au/pantera/Wii/

I couldn't put up with it any longer, so I went to K-Mart last week and bought another one, that one is a PAL, D2B with cut legs.

I swapped the modded DVD drive from the horrible dodgy Wii with really really bad green pixel corruption on the GPU and put it into the new one.

Now I do NOT use WiiConnect24, and I unplug this fixed one from the power when not in use.

I had a PAL UK wii bought on launch day (8th Dec 2006)

It also developed the horrible blobs on the screen.

It was modded with wiikey but now its wiiFREE.

I did exactly the same as you mate (bought a new one & swapped drives)and its still working fine, 2 months later with no blobs!
ph34r.gif

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
The blob thing is caused by the GPU overheating. Usually occurs when the wii is kept in an enclosure, and does not get enough cool air, the same would happen with your pc if the fan died and you didnt realise it wasnt getting cool air.

Ive got a launch wii, been on wiiconnect24 since day 1 and has wiikey, etc, touch wood, nothing out of the ordinary, ive never had disc read error either.

Still, the number of faulty wiis must be a fraction of the number of faulty 360 and ps3s!

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
bought a couple of wii's last week and all had d2b cut legs.
i still got a premodded left, it has a wiikey build in.

panteracfh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The blob thing is caused by the GPU overheating. Usually occurs when the wii is kept in an enclosure, and does not get enough cool air, the same would happen with your pc if the fan died and you didnt realise it wasnt getting cool air.

Ive got a launch wii, been on wiiconnect24 since day 1 and has wiikey, etc, touch wood, nothing out of the ordinary, ive never had disc read error either.

Still, the number of faulty wiis must be a fraction of the number of faulty 360 and ps3s!

My Wii was not kept in any enclosure of any type. It was sitting out in the open, not near anything, in the verticle position.

The unit only ever felt slightly warm, if you ask me, it is a fault with that WiiConnect24 crap, keeping the WiFi on all the time, which cooks the GPU.

So therefore, this one gets completely unplugged after use now.

Yeah I agree with the comparison to the 360 comment, as for the PS3, I didn't think people were actually buying them
wink.gif
eheh.

My original Xbox is still working perfectly after 4 years, and that thing gets left on overnight quite a bit.

Just a pain that the first Wii I encountered became faulty, I think that it was probably a bit flakey from the start, but all seems good now with this second one.

(so far)

Goldcoastr

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldcoastrs-modchips.com
XP
Country
Gaming Companys Will Never Stop the modding

it was only days after the release of the cut legs wii that modders all over the world had already fixed that simple problem

now nintendo have made there firmware version 3.0v to stop illegal programs

but yet again modders have over come that already

Heres good diagram from neoasic on ways to reconnect the 3 legs which are cut on all latest Nintendo Wii Systems

fix-d2bcut-logo.jpg

rolleyes.gif

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Normally nintendo release quality products apart from M$ and $ony.

EddyB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I modded my Wii myself, got one at the release but if I had to buy a new one now I would buy a new pre-modded one. Now some shops in the Netherlands were you can buy a modded one for about €300,-. For more info PM me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Happy birthday!