Hacking Question Are backup loaders actually necessary?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get the XCI trimming tool to work that someone posted here though, that was just quick approximations.

I haven't really seen any super-huge XCIs. Don't some of the NSW cart's require you to download the rest of the game from the internet?
They do, sadly enough. This makes me wonder if those games can even be played with TX's modchip if the full game isn't even on the cartridge.

lilpataya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They do, sadly enough. This makes me wonder if those games can even be played with TX's modchip if the full game isn't even on the cartridge.

I guess we won't be able to play the full version of these games until someone figures out how to install eshop games/dlc

phonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeahhhh, I wonder if there is any handshake between the CDN and the console that verifies or logs unique serials/certs of the cart?

Reactions: Draxzelex

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeahhhh, I wonder if there is any handshake between the CDN and the console that verifies or logs unique serials/certs of the cart?
Ooh, I didn't even think of that. That might make complicate matters a lot for games that require downloading the remaining contents from Nintendo's servers. This definitely makes playing cartridge dumps a whole lot more dangerous.

Reactions: TheSynthax

wodkamen420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would imagine if the cart comes that way and makes u dload the rest of the game i dont see why a backup of the same exact cart wouldnt just dload the files as it normally would its not like they can tell if its ur cart or not u could have rented it borrowed it ect so im pretty sure it would just dload the files like normal

Reactions: Subtle Demise

phonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ooh, I didn't even think of that. That might make complicate matters a lot for games that require downloading the remaining contents from Nintendo's servers. This definitely makes playing cartridge dumps a whole lot more dangerous.
Yeah but it's nintendo though. They haven't been the most secure regarding their CDNs in the past.
But maybe they've smartened up.

I've been trying to stay on top of the "banned switch" threads, but some peoples posts make those topics really difficult to pour through.

i would imagine if the cart comes that way and makes u dload the rest of the game i dont see why a backup of the same exact cart wouldnt just dload the files as it normally would its not like they can tell if its ur cart or not u could have rented it borrowed it ect so im pretty sure it would just dload the files like normal

if thousands of different accounts from all over the globe download using the same cart ID though.
Similar problem on the 3DS when everyone was using the same Publicly available headers on their backups and went online w/ them.

Last edited by phonz,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but it's nintendo though. They haven't been the most secure regarding their CDNs in the past.

I've been trying to stay on top of the "banned switch" threads, but some peoples posts make those topics really difficult to pour through.
They have definitely smartened up. Connecting to the CDN now requires your unique Switch certificate so they know who exactly is downloading what now. So far, the only banned Switches have come from prominent hacking members who have download stuff from the CDN but have also toyed around with homebrew. I'm thinking they got banned due to their presence in the scene rather than any identifiable action because according to them, some of their actions happened in the middle of last year.

Reactions: phonz

wodkamen420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if thousands of different accounts from all over the globe download using the same cart ID though.
Similar problem on the 3DS when everyone was using the same Publicly available headers on their backups and went online w/ them.

yea but jus like on the 3ds we were able to take our legit carts and put the id on the backup so it was still unique i imagine we would get some sorta program to make that happen

phonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yea but jus like on the 3ds we were able to take our legit carts and put the id on the backup so it was still unique i imagine we would get some sorta program to make that happen
Oh yeah, for sure. I imagine that will be a thing eventually if required.

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that in that in the 3ds world, the tools for installing cias among other tools started with the 3ds sdk which were actual tools made by nintendo and leaked online. I'm pretty sure that tools like jksm and fbi were originally derived from the sdk apps. so its possible that we will need some nintendo sdk or at the very least more understanding of how titles get installed before we can do that ourselves

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If TX allowed us to dump our own cartridges, this wouldn't even be that big of an issue. But they're forcing all of their customers to use the same .XCI files. A backup launcher with no way to backup games?

phonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If TX allowed us to dump our own cartridges, this wouldn't even be that big of an issue. But they're forcing all of their customers to use the same .XCI files. A backup launcher with no way to backup games?
they've said they are going to release a method to dump our own carts eventually, but it might not be the most consumer friendly but there is currently no easy way to do it.

• Q: Can I backup my games with SX OS and create my own game ROMs?
    A:
    Currently there's no easy way to backup games with SX OS. We will add support for this in an update.

Last edited by phonz,

wodkamen420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea but TX isnt the only place will will get something like tht from once the real CFW is out we will have all sorts of apps n such for getting our own dumps n such is inevitable honestly i feel we will have most of these things be4 TX is actually shipped out

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they've said they are going to release a method to dump our own carts eventually, but it might not be the most consumer friendly.
I know, I just meant it might be more useful at launch because running their vanilla OS using the only available cartridges seems a little risky to me at least. They're also advertising on updating to the latest firmware which will definitely result in someone getting banned.
yea but TX isnt the only place will will get something like tht from once the real CFW is out we will have all sorts of apps n such for getting our own dumps n such is inevitable honestly i feel we will have most of these things be4 TX is actually shipped out
I'm not anti-TX or anything, I just don't believe in paying for something that we can do for free. I'm just conveying some pity for those who are unexperienced with hacking and will only be utilizing their modchip for hacking their console. Of course, I will be fully relying on the CFW, Atmosphere, when it is finished.

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: wodkamen420

wodkamen420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I just meant it might be more useful at launch because running their vanilla OS using the only available cartridges seems a little risky to me at least. They're also advertising on updating to the latest firmware which will definitely result in someone getting banned.
o for sure theres is going to be so0o0o many bans when the TX releases and makes it to ppl that just cant wait to play their "backups" right away

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not anti-TX or anything, I just don't believe in paying for something that we can do for free. I'm just conveying some pity for those who are unexperienced with hacking and will only be utilizing their modchip for hacking their console. Of course, I will be fully relying on the CFW, Atmosphere, when it is finished.
damn right atmosphere all the way here lol i got a gateway back when it 1st came out while i dont regret it as it let me do what i wanted straight away and for quite some time the switch has a free cfw coming out at the same time unlike 3ds where it took a while for a free method

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the game is available as a digital download then you should be able to do it. You might run out of space quickly & swapping iso's in an sd card is easier.

I've not seen downloads released by any group yet, only carts. So no idea where you'll get them from.
Correction. BigBlueBox dumped a few eShop titles and released them.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn right atmosphere all the way here lol i got a gateway back when it 1st came out while i dont regret it as it let me do what i wanted straight away and for quite some time the switch has a free cfw coming out at the same time unlike 3ds where it took a while for a free method
Yo, I literally did the same thing for the 3DS. My 3DS was stuck on 4.4 because I kept on waiting for Acekard to update their firmware to support it but then luckily enough, Gateway announces their card only supports 4.1-4.5. And considering I was able to play a number of games way before the community, it was well worth the investment. The Switch scene thankfully is on par with the pay-to-win solution in terms of release (June 15th).

Reactions: wodkamen420

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
This is true although a lot of people have already bought SD cards at least as big as 128 GB to prepare for the inevitable piracy. If only the Switch could support external hard drives...

I wonder if we'll eventually see hacks to support external USB, similar to the Wii?

Could even have a system to move games between different storage devices.

Might even push Nintendo to do it themselves (for non-pirated content of course) since there will likely be commentary from the community/press.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if we'll eventually see hacks to support external USB, similar to the Wii?

Could even have a system to move games between different storage devices.

Might even push Nintendo to do it themselves (for non-pirated content of course) since there will likely be commentary from the community/press.
That's what I'm hoping because you can get bigger external hard drivers for much cheaper than some of the biggest SD cards on the market. I believe it may be hard to implement since the Switch primarily reads SD cards and the USB port is used for charging. The USB ports on the dock have potential as well, but the dock does not communicate those types of commands to the Switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153