Hacking Are all 3DS flashcards updatable?

bobostar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all!
I've been out of the flashcard market for a while. I've had a DSi and an M3i Zero for years but I'm going to be buying a 3DS this weekend when it comes out in red and I've read that my M3i Zero might not work with the 3DS.

I'm wondering if the new flashcards for the 3DS, specifically the Supercard DSTWO, EZ-flash Vi, and Acekard 2i are updatable for when Nintendo releases updates that block the current cards. Also, how is the update performed? Do I need another DS that hasn't been updated yet?

One thing I really liked about the M3i Zero was that the update was via a USB cable, I didn't need another DS, and it didn't matter if I'd updated my DSi already with Nintendo's update or not.

Thanks!
moogle.gif

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes most if not all post DSi era have been made update able. While MOST of them require another DS on a lower firmware to be updated if you accidentally update your current DS some special/next gen flashcarts can update themselves with out the need of a DS of a lower firmware such as the DSTWO which only needs 5 mins of your ds on with the firmware loaded on the SD and it will update itself without you needing to access the card itself.

bobostar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Awesome thanks! Is the DSTWO the only card that works like that? I was also considering the Acekard 2i, EZ-flash Vi, and the R4i Gold but I won't get them if I need another DS to update with (assuming I forget and update my 3DS with the latest firmware).

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
bobostar: you can also update your r4i gold 3ds(r4ids.cn) on your 3ds on condition that your r4i gold 3ds can be run on your 3ds.
This means you should update your r4i gold 3ds before updating your 3ds.

bobostar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, I think I've ruled out the R4i since it's not getting as well reviewed as the Acekard or the DSTWO.

Can someone please confirm that if I update my 3DS to the current update, I can still update the Acekard?

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean, the R4i Gold 3DS isn't getting good reviews? It got a Gold Star on GBATemp reviews.
I own it, it works flawlessly.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Supercard DSTwo is still IMHO the best out of the bunch, if you have the money.

You rarely have to update to play new releases.

It works on the latest 3DS System menu 2.0.0-4U IIRC. I can confirm this for sure as well, as I have a 3ds and a DSTwo, which I recently updated the firmware on. Works flawlessly.

Just as a note, I did use my DSLite to upgrade the firmware on the DSTwo.

bobostar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nimbus said:
The Supercard DSTwo is still IMHO the best out of the bunch, if you have the money.

You rarely have to update to play new releases.

It works on the latest 3DS System menu 2.0.0-4U IIRC. I can confirm this for sure as well, as I have a 3ds and a DSTwo, which I recently updated the firmware on. Works flawlessly.

Just as a note, I did use my DSLite to upgrade the firmware on the DSTwo.

hmmm.....so no one makes a card for the 3DS like the M3i Zero I had with my DSi, with the little usb cable thingy that plugs into the card to run updates on the card?

Woodhouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bobostar said:
Thanks. After reading the page, I'm still unclear on whether or not I can update the R4i gold if the 3DS has been updated to the latest version but the rest of the features on the R4i look good.

Let me make it clear. Three cards we usually recommend DSTwo, AK2i and R4i gold. All of them are great cards for your 3DS console even when you update your card to V2.1.0-4. But there is one thing you need to know first, DSTwo and AK2i, you need to update them by yourself when you receive them, because they can not work on 3DS V2.1.0-4 or DSi V1.43 out of box. About the R4i gold, you can feel free to use it at any time, it can work on your 3DS latest firmware directly without updating, just use the latest wood firmware.

So my opinion, if you want to buy a DSTwo or Acekard 2i,you need to prepare a DS or DSi(V1.42 or lower) to update it when you receive it. Or you can choose dont update your 3DS now, wait until you can get a DS to update. if you plan to buy a R4i gold 3ds,then you can feel free to update your 3DS at any time. Dont worry about the future update, because once the nintendo releases the new firmware, R4i gold and other card teams will always try to catch up with the new update asap.

About the Ak2i and DStwo update method for 3DS V2.1.0-4. Easy job as well with a DS, there is a read me txt file in the update patch, update steps are there, just follow them. You can find the update patch in the related official site.

By the way, i have a r4i gold 3ds, got it from here , dont buy other clone r4 cards http://www.digitopz.com/r4i-gold-3ds-flash...-3ds-p-216.html

Gba memebers will help you if you have more questions
rolleyes.gif

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Woodhouse said:
bobostar said:
Thanks. After reading the page, I'm still unclear on whether or not I can update the R4i gold if the 3DS has been updated to the latest version but the rest of the features on the R4i look good.

Let me make it clear. Three cards we usually recommend DSTwo, AK2i and R4i gold. All of them are great cards for your 3DS console even when you update your card to V2.1.0-4. But there is one thing you need to know first, DSTwo and AK2i, you need to update them by yourself when you receive them, because they can not work on 3DS V2.1.0-4 or DSi V1.43 out of box. About the R4i gold, you can feel free to use it at any time, it can work on your 3DS latest firmware directly without updating, just use the latest wood firmware.

So my opinion, if you want to buy a DSTwo or Acekard 2i,you need to prepare a DS or DSi(V1.42 or lower) to update it when you receive it. Or you can choose dont update your 3DS now, wait until you can get a DS to update. if you plan to buy a R4i gold 3ds,then you can feel free to update your 3DS at any time. Dont worry about the future update, because once the nintendo releases the new firmware, R4i gold and other card teams will always try to catch up with the new update asap.

About the Ak2i and DStwo update method for 3DS V2.1.0-4. Easy job as well with a DS, there is a read me txt file in the update patch, update steps are there, just follow them. You can find the update patch in the related official site.

By the way, i have a r4i gold 3ds, got it from here , dont buy other clone r4 cards http://www.digitopz.com/r4i-gold-3ds-flash...-3ds-p-216.html

Gba memebers will help you if you have more questions
rolleyes.gif

Wrong. It depends on the retailer, some come preupdated and some don't. I believe realhotstuff.com have an option for pre-updated cards. So basically recommendations go like this. If you want a lot of features and GBA/SNES emulation you go for the DSTWO. The Acekard and the R4i Gold are pretty similar to me, Acekard has pretty good compatibility and gets updated very frequently. R4i I wouldn't know as I don't own one, but AFAIK there aren't many problems with them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.