AppMigrate: a free open source tool that migrates your app settings

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    On this slow news day, I present to you a new Windows program that I have been working on recently. AppMigrate is a tool that backs up settings of your applications on one PC, and restores them on another. Or you can just use it to back up your settings, transfer them over the Internet, and anything else you can think of.

As it turns out, I have had to change computers twice over the past month (well actually the first time was a Windows reinstall; then I also got a new computer). Which means I have had to reinstall and reconfigure all my applications twice. This literally took ages! I looked around for a solution to easily backup all my application settings, but I couldn't find anything satisfying. Windows Backup does a few things, but it's mostly for transferring documents and whatnot. As a result I have created a simple program that exports settings from the applications installed on your system, and then allows you to restore these settings later.

appmig.png

AppMigrate currently supports over 100 applications including the most popular ones. In fact, the catalog of supported applications is open and user-contributed. Devin has been helping me out and already added over 50 apps. This first version has limitations that prevents us from adding certain applications (that store their settings in non standard ways) but if there enough demand, a new version will come to life and come with additional features.

:arrow: If you are interested in this tool, head over to the official website for more information
    :arrow: Download the AppMigrate installer

2. calmwaters
    This message by calmwaters has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Oct 18, 2013, Reason: stupid and replying to.
    Oct 18, 2013
  3. Devin
    This message by Devin has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Oct 18, 2013, Reason: stupid and replying to.
    Oct 18, 2013
  4. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    hmm I wish this was developed 10 years ago. Good idea costello

;)

5. calmwaters
    This message by calmwaters has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Oct 18, 2013, Reason: stupid and replying to.
    Oct 18, 2013
  6. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Should have announced a homebrew bounty Costello.
    Just stop and wonder who might have won. :P

7. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here
    Nice. This will be useful when I get my new laptop :)

calmwaters likes this.
  8. RPG_Lover

RPG_Lover Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2010
    United States
    I sometimes have to reinstall windows for people with various computer problems. I believe this will help me a lot. Thank you!

9. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    another site that will come in quite handy:
    https://ninite.com/
    the fastest way to reinstall or reconfigure a PC: Ninite+AppMigrate

Boriar, T-hug and Mythrix like this.
  10. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    What a good great idea, thank you Costy! ;O;

11. Metoroid0

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    Oh my god! you smart smart boy! :O :D Now these are things people should really make.

Good work, i will try it ^w^

12. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    just a nerdy question though, which langue is it coded in? ;)

13. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Nice work m8 this will be extremely useful for me as I am repairing and resetting PCs and Laptops on a weekly basis. This should help me get them back up and running a bit quicker.
    Will definitely look at adding some apps.

14. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    filfat and pelago like this.
  15. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
  16. petspeed

petspeed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2009
    Great idea, thanks!

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Costello
    This seems incredibly useful, maybe add an option to copy selective directories from appdata for apps that are not supported yet?

18. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Oh my FSM, this is the best thing I never knew I wanted. I don't mind reinstalling Windows, but re-configuring all my apps is tedious.
    This is the perfect solution! Even my favorite Auslogics Disk Defrag is on there!

19. mary1517

mary1517 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Poland
    Wow, now that's something I really wish I had in the past. Good timing! I'm just about to reinstall my PC to a new HDD. Thanks for this, your awesome.

20. zachtheninja

zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

Aug 28, 2011
    United States
    Texas
    NIce. This will be very useful.

21. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    I usually just copy/paste "appdata" folder (or "home" on linux) and every setting and save data is usually present. I guess this is cleaner way to do things when every little program settings aren't moved over. Maybe adding direct way to download backed up programs so it'll be only tool needed when freshly installing OS.

22. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Copying the AppData folder is a good idea; however you might be copying plenty of useless stuff in the process; and potentially keeping your PC dirty.
    Also, that doesn't include the registry settings (at the moment 50% of the apps in the AppMigrate database use registry to store settings).
    You could theoretically export and import the whole "HKCU" branch and restore it, but I think that might be risky too...

23. unz

unz Chaotic Neutral

Jul 14, 2008
    Curmudgeon's quarters
    Is AppMigrate capable of transferring settings between 32bit and 64bit systems?