Apple vs Samsung: Another Win for Apple?

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, while Apple did give the market the kickstart, it's now trying to kill off all other competitors. That's no fun.
Variety is good.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The iPhone still reinvented the smartphone market. It became more data centric, they added a centralised app store with active developers, they made a touch screen interface that wasn't a complete faff to use. Without the iPhone the smartphone market wouldn't exist as it is now. The fact that it was "obsolete" the day it released didn't matter. It gave the market the kickstart it needed. Maybe without the iPhone Android would've still released but I don't think it would have become as big as it is because it wouldn't have had a giant to compete against.
Oh, why of course! Competition is the motor of progress and I'm all for it! I just think that it has to be healthy competition, and Apple likes to play dirty. They have a horrible habit of "patenting black rectangles" as I call it, and by doing this they really stall proper progress.

Reactions: 3 people

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The iPhone still reinvented the smartphone market. It became more data centric, they added a centralised app store with active developers, they made a touch screen interface that wasn't a complete faff to use. Without the iPhone the smartphone market wouldn't exist as it is now. The fact that it was "obsolete" the day it released didn't matter. It gave the market the kickstart it needed. Maybe without the iPhone Android would've still released but I don't think it would have become as big as it is because it wouldn't have had a giant to compete against.
Oh, why of course! Competition is the motor of progress and I'm all for it! I just think that it has to be healthy competition, and Apple likes to play dirty. They have a horrible habit of "patenting black rectangles" as I call it, and by doing this they really stall proper progress.
I agree with you completely. Just trying to nip any and all complete Apple flaming in the bud.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
When I was a kid, mobile phones didn't even have a menu, they were big blocks with numbers and a button to call, a giant stretchable antenna and a small visor where you could see the numbers you pressed.
I'm ok with phones having so many stuff, but it seems really pointless, phones can photograph and record, well, most people probably have digital cameras with better quality, they play songs, most people already have a music specific device, they have clocks and calendars, when most people usually have a watch...
Meh...
Most people get a phone and they won't even use most of the functions that a phone has nowadays, so... People just get them cuz they're cool and in fashion.. Pretty much like clothes and other stuff... z.z

On topic, I dislike these patent thingies that Apple seems to be doing, I'm pretty sure that they themselves have broken a few themselves. z.z
And the Nexus seemed really cool too. =(

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ok with phones having so many stuff, but it seems really pointless, phones can photograph and record, well, most people probably have digital cameras with better quality, they play songs, most people already have a music specific device, they have clocks and calendars, when most people usually have a watch...
Most people? Surely not watches. I ,for one, didn't have any of those,but a phone.
In the future, safe advance Project glass -like glasses with electronic gloves would probably replace phones and even tablets.
If advance and effective enough, maybe even laptops.

If not, there's always holograms. :yay:

Reactions: 1 person

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people? Surely not watches. I ,for one, didn't have any of those,but a phone.
In the future, safe advance Project glass -like glasses with electronic gloves would probably replace phones and even tablets.
If advance and effective enough, maybe even laptops.

If not, there's always holograms. :yay:
As long as their are no robots to go berserk im good. Yay future!
On topic though, and to awnser the post quoted above me, most people get a phone like that so they can do all the above functions stated on one device. Granted i see your point and agree with you on how people tend to go with this stuff to stick to trends, others get it because it makes life so much easier. My dad uses his phone to keep up with his business emails (gets like 500 a day o.o) create documents and take them on the ago, and its all in his hand and pocket. Apple has improved upon this so much over the years, making them so popular with the masses, the competition has a tough time competing. And its not because their operating systems are weaker, or they pale in comparison. Its because apples the big trend. Just put it this way, is a person gonna wanna be seen wearing 100$ nikes, or 10$ walmart tennis shoes? People are all about the brand, and apple is gucci, androids armani, and windows phone ...i digress.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Next objective: The NEXUS 7.

if it sells like hot shit off the grill, I can guarantee wAaApple will find an "infringing" reason to remove it from the market
seriously, fuck apple and Steve Jobs.

get the courts out of fucking Cali and see where the bias will sway.

Apple is scared shitless without Steve Jobs mind at work, so they are panicking and flipping shit. to make up for innovation. they are just fucking eliminating everything that is popular, they didn't make, and they see as a threat.

Apple is currently suing HTC, Samsung, Motorola and Google. all popular smartphone manufactures (LG they could give two shits about)

what do you think they are trying to achieve?...total fucking market domination.

seriously, if Apple entirely dominates the smartphone industry in the distant future (worst case scenario) ; somebody should die.

I swear to god I'm going to pistol-whip the next Apple Fan boy I come across...anyone who *mindlessly* supports this Nazi regime of the destruction of free enterprise deserves it.

Apple makes good stuff...and I don't hate apple for making their products,(I own an iPod Touch *jailbroken mind you*) What I do hate, is their greediness to entirely rule the smartphone industry. And their enviousness for the innovation that they see their competition doing.

Steve Jobs vowed to "destroy android" and go to "global-thermal nuclear war" and use "all the money in the bank" to do it. now they are completing his dying wish...

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Apple's hardware is definitely not best. The A5 isn't that efficient at times, and really it can be just as slow as A4. Besides, Apple stuff are manufactured by OTHER companies. (ahem Samsung with A5X and others)

What really drives me into Apple products is their software (sorry, not referring to Mac, just iOS). Up till today, I still must say that iOS is the most simple and easiest to use. ICS did transform the android platform by a whole 180, but iOS is (despite restricted) still the most easy to use and definitely the best for the casual mobile user.

As for these lawsuits and stuff, blame the company infrastructure (Samsung's infrastructure isn't THAT good too anyway - they have extremely horrible after-sales service).

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We desperately need a new patent system, specially when it comes to mobile. Every name in mobile tech is suing some other company that violated something that they shouldn't have been able to patent in the first place.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"The day Android reached the day of light, the original iPhone entered the realm of obscurity."

The original iPhone went on sale June 29th, 2007. The Google-led Open Handset Alliance made the big announcement November 5th of that year. In the time between those two events, Apple sold about a million iPhones. In the time proceeding the latter announcement, and up until the release of the iPhone 3G, Apple sold an additional 5 million iPhones. Maybe I'm just crazy, but selling several times more units seems like the opposite of "entering obscurity". The 3G sold 7 million units in the first quarter of it's release.

To put into perspective: the Android-powered HTC Dream, which shipped a few months after the 3G, sold a total of 1 million in the US during it's first six months.

"As for the iPad, it's really just an iPhone on steroids - everybody knows that and everybody waits for tablets with proper full-blown operating systems to enter the market."

I guess that's why the iPad hasn't sold 60 million units, and failed to penetrate the decade-old consumer market for Windows tablets, which has done nothing but thrived from the start. Or how about the HP Slate? They must have sold a hundred million of those! I bet HP is doing great.

The rest of your post is devoted to speeds and feeds; rattling off hardware specs and feature lists. You dismiss the interface entirely, referring to it as a "flashy menu". The products you claim will slay the specter of the iPad are named Surface and Fiona. On Surface: it seems contrary to your displayed values to support a device which promotes aesthetics and usability at the cost of functionality. Maybe you're referring specifically to the doomed Surface Pro device, which indeed runs the full desktop stack of Windows. What does this device have which previous Windows tablets lacked?... besides a "flashy menu". If you say kickstand, I'll cut your tongue out (joke).

Fiona is pretty damn cool, but it remains mostly irrelevant until it's apparent that it's actually becoming a product. Still waiting on "Switchblade" from CES of the previous year (not holding my breath).

At the end of the day, I think the one thing we can all agree on is that it's a shame the US legal system is setup in a way to promote litigious action such as this. OSX and iOS are both great products as far as I'm concerned, and it's disappointing to think such software is being sullied by dirty business at the hands of the platform maintainer. I'm a fan of ICS as well, using an Android tablet alongside the iPhone on a daily basis, and truly hope that someday we'll get the kind of copyright reform which will freely allow innovation from everyone without the worry of being sued out of existence.

I'm still glad I went with the iPhone instead of the TyTN II I had been planning for. :)

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Steve Jobs is dead, let it go Apple.

Go get'em Google

Someone has to sue Apple for anti-competitiveness

Apple is trying to be like Microsoft as far as becoming a monopoly. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure anti-competitiveness is illegal. Plus they're the ultimate patent and copyright trolls.
It will never be a monopoly. Apple has it's competitors and it still has overpriced shit. To be honest I don't know how Apple is successful. I guess Apple sure knows how to build a fanbase.

2 main reasons on why Apple is successful. First cuz they have one of the best publicity departments in the world and second and more important cuz Apple fanboys are IDIOTS. Why do I say that? Simple, cuz for every product Apple releases there is a BETTER product from another company that does what Apple does and much more. For example. Apple had for some time the Ipod nano, it had no screen and no radio, here comes Sandisk and releases one of the best mini portable mp3s, the sansa clip, had a screen AND radio yet Apple fanboys ran to buy the nano.... why? cuz of what I just said on top...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, locking out any competition through an asinine abuse of the patent system. In business terminology, we call that "absolute dickery".

Reactions: 6 people

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's odd. Tonight is one of those nights where I just really don't feel like getting my anti-Apple fanboii hat on.

I'll say two things. iPod Classic > any other MP3 player due to sheer local storage capacity (for those of us who like to keep a large library)

and

I'm glad I got my Galaxy Nexus when I did, then. :wub: Jellybean is pretty awesome, btw.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country

Go get'em Google

Apple is trying to be like Microsoft as far as becoming a monopoly. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure anti-competitiveness is illegal. Plus they're the ultimate patent and copyright trolls.
It will never be a monopoly. Apple has it's competitors and it still has overpriced shit. To be honest I don't know how Apple is successful. I guess Apple sure knows how to build a fanbase.

2 main reasons on why Apple is successful. First cuz they have one of the best publicity departments in the world and second and more important cuz Apple fanboys are IDIOTS. Why do I say that? Simple, cuz for every product Apple releases there is a BETTER product from another company that does what Apple does and much more. For example. Apple had for some time the Ipod nano, it had no screen and no radio, here comes Sandisk and releases one of the best mini portable mp3s, the sansa clip, had a screen AND radio yet Apple fanboys ran to buy the nano.... why? cuz of what I just said on top...

Ipod Nano always had a screen.

You know, that's the problem with anti-Apple fanboys, more often than not they simply criticize something they actually have no idea about. You know if you have a terrible attitude about something before doing it or experiencing it yourself, it tends give you a negative opinion of it regardless of what happened. That's called being close minded.

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country

Go get'em Google

Ipod Nano always had a screen.

You know, that's the problem with anti-Apple fanboys, more often than not they simply criticize something they actually have no idea about. You know if you have a terrible attitude about something before doing it or experiencing it yourself, it tends give you a negative opinion of it regardless of what happened. That's called being close minded.

Well in fact you are right about one thing, its not the nano its the shuffle (that shows how much I love Apple). But you are still wrong about not knowing. You see, while it was the shuffle that didnt have a screen nor radio and not the nano, it was STILL the nano that didnt had radio ;) . And quite frankly, any of the sansas clips beat the hell out of both nano and shuffles. So yeah I was half right but I was totally right about why Apple is a success, specially in the fanboys part ;)

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
sentinel5000: Simply saying you are right does not mean you are right, that's the sign of a bad/weak argument, which directly reflects the maturity of the that person.

Most people who buy a dedicated MP3 player generally aren't interested in radio broadcast, adding that would have added unneeded cost and bulk to a product which aimed at ultra-portability and a cheaper alternative to the more feature-rich models, such as the iPod Classic, Nano and Touch at the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...