Bi-Winning.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

QUOTE said:
Whoa! In the world of big-time lawsuits, this must be just about the biggest. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple has sued Samsung Electronics for copying "the look and feel" of its iPad tablet and iPhone smartphone. This relates to the Samsung Galaxy S 4G, which bears more than a passing resemblance to the iPhone 3G / 3GS models, and the slightly less obvious Epic 4G, Nexus S, and Galaxy Tab (presumably the older 7-inch model, since the newer ones aren't out yet) devices. The claim for intellectual property infringement is phrased as follows:
"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products."
The lawsuit was filed in the Northern District of California on Friday and seeks injunctions against Samsung, damages (both actual and punitive), and a finding that the infringement was willful. Lest we forget, the rarest outcome in such legal tussles is for an actual judgment to actually be handed down, so the greatest likelihood is that this will just lead to another round of grudging handshakes and licensing going one way with money going the other way, but still, it's fun to see the big dogs barking at each other.

Another aspect to these proceedings that shouldn't be overlooked is that, on the software front, they boil down to iOS versus Android (again). When Apple calls Samsung uninventive in its user interface, it's talking more about Android's perceived imitation of the iPhone's interface than whatever TouchWiz tweaks Samsung has slapped on top. And hey, if you're going to sue Google indirectly, you can't leave a major player like Samsung outside the courtroom, it just wouldn't be fair.
Source.

---

I have to admit, when I first saw the samsung phone on a TV advertisement I thought "how do they get away with it?".

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really need to learn to clap like damon grant(if you dont know who he is play PW:AA)

they deserve applause for being ballsy to sue othe companies. so is apple still sore for the jailbreak law suite fail and now hey going after others? who's next sony? please be sony

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
This is bullshit.
I agree. They look similar but not totally alike. The closest resemblance can be seen in the Galaxy S due to its Home button and front facing camera placement. The Galaxy Tab does have a standard set of Android buttons which the iPad lacks. As for the software looking similar to iOS, that's Google's problem. Go deal with them if you don't like it, not Samsung.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
>>implying the iPhone is original

Please, Apple, there were dozens of touch screen based smartphones before your precious phone, and your design is not original, I can assure you!

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Actually, the TouchWiz interface made by Samsung really feels like iOS. But hey, Apple doesn't have the monopole for rectangle and black devices, with a menu with icons arranged in a grid, no ?

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkShinigami said:
i really need to learn to clap like damon grant(if you dont know who he is play PW:AA)

"SWIMMING, ANYONE?!?"
yaynds.gif

But yeah, this should be amusing...

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkShinigami said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
THIS.

IS-

BULLSHHiiiTTTT!
no it

THIS

IS

SPARTAAAAAA
(kicks apple into a bottomless pit)

on a serious note apple really is getting ballsy lately

Not ballsy, just cocky. But apple can get away with just about everything in their products, so maybe they just think they can do the same in court. They've sued Nokia over this too.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an ipod touch and a Samsung hd tv which are currently squaring up to each other
ohnoes.png

OT: not sure what Apple want to achieve from this lawsuit. Maybe throw their weight around like Sony, but towards other companies?

Potticus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"copying the design"
You might as well sue everyone that ever copied the first flip phone. Or you know everyone who's ever created a sliding phone, they should get sued too.

DarkShinigami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warrior522 said:
DarkShinigami said:

"SWIMMING, ANYONE?!?"
yaynds.gif

DAMN ur the only one who got the reference or didnt want to bother replying to my comment.

i just finish AA and loved his clap it would fit in here perfectly

[youtube]maddrcU_TJg[/youtube]

taking all bets ill bet apple looses the law suite

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkShinigami said:
Warrior522 said:
DarkShinigami said:

"SWIMMING, ANYONE?!?"
yaynds.gif

DAMN ur the only one who got the reference or didnt want to bother replying to my comment.

Make sure you play all 5 games and Ghost Trick; they all kick ass.

And I'm calling the ol' OOC.

DarkShinigami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warrior522 said:
DarkShinigami said:
Warrior522 said:
DarkShinigami said:

"SWIMMING, ANYONE?!?"
yaynds.gif

Make sure you play all 5 games and Ghost Trick; they all kick ass.

And I'm calling the ol' OOC.
i played 1-3 AA, AJ but im replaying em all over again cause they awesome like that. i stopped AAI cause pokemon HG made me but now pokemon aint stopping my PW playthrough from 1-5 i already play GT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.