Hacking Apparently bricked my "New" 2ds

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was playing a digital game (not a game cartridge) flipped the lid of my "New" 2ds and put it in my pocket. Later that day when I opened the lid again only the blue power light was on and both screens were black. I always have the wireless on, so if it was working properly that light should be on. I force powered it off. I figured it would be okay. I have Luma 8.1 something and I thought that holding select to boot with the luma configuration options would fix it like it has in the past. The problem is that things are only showing up on the bottom screen, the top screen is completely blank. Also I can't seem to get it to save the options and boot to the home menu. My 3ds will also randomly just power off after a few seconds for no reason. Holding start will open up godmode9, but again it will power off randomly after a few seconds, and there is no view on the top screen. I'm wondering what happened. Did i brick my 2ds or did something break inside of it? I also don't know what versions all of my homebrew/CFW stuff is on, and I don't know where I would be able to check, since I can't load into anything for more than 3 seconds now. Any ideas?

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was what I was afraid of, but then why would nothing happen when pressing the power button? If just the top screen was broken why is nothing showing up on the lower screen, and the wireless led not coming on. Not to mention the fact that it was in my pocket all day and I would have absolutely no idea how or where it could've gotten damaged.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I wouldn't say you're fucked. You should try taking it a bit apart, and remove the top screen ribbon cable, and replug it back in. It might just start working again! :D

I only took apart 3DS and 3DS XLs, but from what I gather, as long as you're not taking apart the top screen, it's pretty easy.

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks :) I'll have to look at that. Hopefully It'll get fixed. Is there any possibility that it's both brisked and hardware broken. I haven't done anything with homebrew or CFW recently, so I don't know what would have bricked it if it is bricked.

EDIT: New problem. I don't have any tri winged screwdrivers. I have ones that are really tiny, but they are all + and - and won't work with these stupid little things.

Last edited by TribstyAnn,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was playing a digital game (not a game cartridge)

Cartridges are digital. You were playing a downloaded game.

ew problem. I don't have any tri winged screwdrivers. I have ones that are really tiny, but they are all + and - and won't work with these stupid little things.

IF you can be patient for it to ship, check amazon, they have some.

Last edited by tbb043,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks :) I'll have to look at that. Hopefully It'll get fixed. Is there any possibility that it's both brisked and hardware broken. I haven't done anything with homebrew or CFW recently, so I don't know what would have bricked it if it is bricked.

EDIT: New problem. I don't have any tri winged screwdrivers. I have ones that are really tiny, but they are all + and - and won't work with these stupid little things.
It does sound like the upper LCD ribbon cable got damaged or isn't making good contact anymore.
Triwing screws can be unscrewed with ease with a small flathead by placing it in the middle like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4p624k7d03ge3a/FWL3IU30VVEV2ZDJ9M.MEDIUM.jpg?dl=0
Just be careful to not use force, find one that fits exactly into the middle so that it doesn't have room to move around and it shouldn't damage the screw.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The N2DSXL has crappy back support for the top LCD. The cover is too thin.

Some N2DSXL owners have stated the screen breaking while it was in their pocket. Similar carry-on treatment to a N3DS(XL) and O3DS(XL) wouldn't have broken their screens.

What makes it even worse is that N2DSXL replacement lcds are hard to come by and that the exterior glass panel is infused to the LCD much like an Apple iDevice.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Try booting something like the Luma menu or CtrBootManager9 and see if you get an image. Little over a year ago I broke my 3DS' top screen while it was closed shell and a slamming door sandwitched it between itself and the frame. The console's led would light up but the screens would stay black. By contrast the boot menu would initialize the screens correctly and the black stain where the screen was damaged was visible, it was otherwise imperceptible against the blackness. You can also try shining a flashlight on the screen to see if you can spot it, look around the edges. Damage of this sort usually concentrates around the edges when the screen is warped by the impact/force and the glass detaches from the crystal layer. The normal firmware will detect functionality errors refuse to go further but boot applications usually work. I specifically recommend CtrBootManager9 with a colored background since almost all boot homebrew display a black background that can be hard to discern against.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1