GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You will find the solution in this thread :
Can i run Wii roms of a burned CD

And first of all you need a compatible Wii:
If your Wii is a black or red RVL-001 Wii (with gamecube ports) or any RVL-101 Wii (no gamecube ports) or an RVL-201 (Wii Mini), the answer is no, you cannot run burned discs, unless you swap in a compatible disc drive.

That leaves us with the white RVL-001, the original Wii that most people are familiar with. In order to know if yours is compatible, the easiest way is to download the homebrew app WiiMC, insert a movie DVD or something, and see if WiiMC will play it. If it plays, the drive is compatible. If you get an error saying it’s not compatible, the drive is incompatible.
Source: https://www.rwiihacks.com/tutorials/burneddiscinfo/

Last edited by Sypherone,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Short explanation:
  • USB loading should be preferred to not wear down the drive
  • If the drive is old enough Neogamma will do the trick most of the time fully automatically
  • Use DVD-R. When using DVD+R, remember you need a drive allowing "bit setting" to set the book type on DVD-ROM (good modchips don't need that)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what about a wii u on vwii?
The short answer to that is "No!".
But in my opinion this should always come with reasons, why the answer is no.

So here is the longer answer:
As I mentioned above only the oldest Wii drives are capable of reading standard DVD formats. At some point of the Wii development it was considered to officially include DVD video playback, but this functionality was ultimately not included – to save money (license fees for distributing an official DVD player).
Having considered DVD video at some point, the drives must have been able to understand DVD-ROM (and even DVD±R).
Reverse engineers discovered methods to reactivate the DVD functionality (debug commands?) and could convince the Wii drives in reading burned or pressed DVDs for video playback and even backup loading. The drives reduce their rotation speed resulting in poor 3x max speed when reading something different than genuine Wii discs (compared to the 6x they are capable). My guess is that this was to suppress noise on movie playback (high speed is not needed for movies and the drive is fairly loud on full speed). Unlocking the full speed of the drives for backup loading requires a modchip.

Nintendo naturally became aware of modchips and softmods (ab)using the DVD functionality for backup loading – and of course also for illegal copies instead of legitimate backups. Then they decided to remove the (officially not needed) DVD capabilities from newer iterations of the drives. To my knowledge not even drive modchips can add it back on D3-2 and D4.

For the Wii U official DVD (and BD) functionality was never considered. → No chance convincing those drives in reading something else than legit Wii and Wii U discs. If you actually want to load backup discs on newer Wii drives or even the Wii U, you would have to start here:
https://debugmo.de/2022/05/fjita-the-project-that-wasnt-meant-to-be/
and continue this (sadly!!) failed project.
Console disc security is a tough nut to crack. Since the interest in optical media faded away and now essentially is equal to zero, I see no chance of any talented and knowledgeable person doing any research into that direction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    she was an apple appstore girl
    he was an uptodown boy
    He was an android boy
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: He was an android boy