AP patching for flashcarts?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Lunar_Rhythm, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Lunar_Rhythm
    OP

Lunar_Rhythm Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2019
    United States
    So i recently got a r4i gold plus? I believe. Anyway i just today came across that some roms require AP patches which i don't know where to find which need them. More importantly can if i apply them will i lose save data or if my games ran at all do they not need them?

2. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    any card that's been updated since they stopped making ds games will not need AP patches on anything.

ysmenu, wood 1.62, etc...

An AP patch will not kill your save, unless the "i'm a pirate" flag is saved into the save file, in which case you generally have to start over.

This was an infamous problem with a certain RPG on ps2. once it tripped the anti piracy/cheat protection, and started crashing, you had to start all over and wipe the save or it would crash forever. if the antipiracy patch doesn't seem to fix anything, that's your problem.

Lunar_Rhythm likes this.
  3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Which one?

4. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Addict

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Never heard of PS2 having copy/anti-mod protection in their games. PS1 had Libcrypt added to later releases of some titles that triggered at random parts i.e Spyro 3 were the Languages would random swap, eggs disappear and other crazy stuff until Paradox released a 100% working full crack back in the day.

5. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    valkyrie profile 2.

it was intended as anti cheat protection. once tripped, the system save was perma flagged, and you would crash upon entering battle. people using hdloader also tended to trip it. You had to erase the system save and start ALL OVER as punishment for cheating and getting caught.

tbb043 likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I have never heard of that on the DS, though I dare say most would not have looked. You have the basic checksums and some save editors would add things to the name.

Similarly if such a save corruption happened and it was not just a flag you could disable there would probably be people that figured out the changes and went from there -- see some of the stuff done for pokemon.

Lunar_Rhythm likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted