Anything preventing using Gateway's original launcher.dat on clones?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ratman9977, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Ratman9977
    OP

Ratman9977 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2014
    United States
    Since the problems with 2.0b2 seem to be with the cloners' modifications, does Gateway's launcher.dat work with clones? As in using that instead of R4 or 3dslink's modified versions. Or does Gateway's launcher.dat have some sort of checker to detect if a clone is being used?

2. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    I believe the clones use slightly different hardware so they have to tweak the launcher to work with their card. I am not 100% sure, but I believe trying to run the official Gateway launcher will just cause a crash.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Ryft is correct. It's very much like engines and cars - all petrol engines more or less follow the same principle, they work in pretty much the same way, but that doesn't mean that they're interchangable by proxy or that they'll fit the actual frame of the car in question. Launcher.dat's work similarly - they make things "happen" just like an engine does, they're all using the same exploit but there are some minute differences between the actual carts that cause incompatibility and need to be accounted for first.

4. Ratman9977
    OP

Ratman9977 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2014
    United States
    I highly doubt that this is the case. Considering that R4 and 3dsLink don't seem to know how to do anything besides modify some text strings -- likely just via a hex editor.

The cards use almost identical FPGAs. FPGAs don't store any information on their logical structure. They are programmed on power-up typically via an SPI flashrom.

5. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    You can use Gateway's launcher, just can't use it to play roms though.

6. Gadorach

Gadorach Electronics Engineering Technologist

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    Though I haven't checked or anything, the cards likely all have a serial number that falls into an algorithm stored in the launcher.dat and must be passed to allow for ROM loading. The clones are probably patching this check out, and that's pretty much it, along with editing some strings and maybe images. Otherwise, they're most likely the same.

7. juins

juins GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2003
    what redkeyboard said is exactly what will happen.

DS profile hack work, GW mode loads, but ROMS are never recognized.