anyone wanna help a technodoofus?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by ukenigma, Jun 2, 2009.

Jun 2, 2009
  1. ukenigma
    OP

Newcomer ukenigma Member

United Kingdom
    found a great guide and finally gonna get on and unlock the potential of my years old fat PSP

i know i need a pandora battery and to create/buy a magic memory card, but do you only need this card as a 1 off for unbricking/unlocking or do you leave this card in and use this for games and apps?
    everywhere i read says i need at least a 256Meg card for the magic memory stick, but surely this wont leave a lot of space to install any of my games or apps?

If this is a one off deal and the games are stored on seperate cards, whats a rough size of a game file after i have extracted the ISO? no good getting a card that will only hold 1 or 2 games at a go, might as well take the original games with me!!

thanks in advance [​IMG] and please answer as if your talking to a retard, cos i might understand it then and you wont upset me if you walk me through it in little baby steps!!

2. ukenigma
    OP

Newcomer ukenigma Member

United Kingdom
    Also, do any of you guys use a microSD adapter and the use the much cheaper microSD cards?
    dont know if these will work the same??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Screw buying the the Pandora...so long as you're not on 5.50 do this.

And plenty of people live by the cheap Photofast adapter available on Deal Extreme.

4. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    as for the magic memory card 256mb is required but a 2gb is recommended also if you only used a 256mb card I doubt you would be able to fit any game on it at all lol considering most games are around 400mb and up I have games close to 1gb even after I've compressed them and tinkered with them, also I use a photofast adapter from dealextreme ^^ the one mention by xist above and I have 2 8gb micro SDHC cards in there it gives me 16gb worth of homebrew and games to play with so its not a bad deal and if your looking for cheap micro SDHC's then I get mine from http://www.mymemory.co.uk they do all the types of memory cards so take your pick.

and as for the photofast this is what we're talking about and the one I have if you decide to go for it it may seem a bit flimsy but its quite well built http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16489

enjoy

5. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    I heard with HEN there is no recovery menu [​IMG]
    But you can clear the MMS once you're done hacking with pandora [​IMG]

And you know someone's a technodoofus when he uses technodoofus [​IMG]

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You're only using the HEN to launch the full CFW installation app....with a phat PSP you can even m,ake a Pandora yourself before you leap in and flash.

7. ukenigma
    OP

Newcomer ukenigma Member

United Kingdom
    what exactly is HEN?
    is this an alternative to the magic memory stick and pandora?

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    In this case HEN is a softmod that uses a bug in the official 5.03 firmware that loads into the ram (normal custom firmwares load into the PSP NAND and boot up with the PSP) effectively giving you a custom firmware until you power down.
    It is not as full featured as a true custom firmware but using it you can launch homebrew which includes tools like Hellcats recovery flasher that can give you a proper custom firmware.

Oh and I flashed a PSP using this with the 32 meg card that comes with the PSP.

The Pandora battery and magic memory stick is a special battery and stick that loads custom code by making the PSP go into service mode, it works on any firmware if you have a compatible PSP (all the old fat/phat PSPs are).

9. ukenigma
    OP

Newcomer ukenigma Member

United Kingdom
    thanks for your input guys. I just want a simple method to use thats a 'do once and forgot about it'.

sounds like the pandora and magic memory stick is the one for me

DX, here i come! lol

10. raing3

Member raing3 CNET_Richard

Australia
    You can actually create a Pandora battery and Magic Memory Stick after loading HEN (assuming that your PSP-1000 battery is softmoddable)... also the battery and Magic Memory Stick can be reverted back after you have used them. Also if you load HEN you can go directly to a CFW using Hellcat's Recovery tool. Although I would definitely recommend keeping a Pandora battery and magic memory stick for in case you brick your PSP. If you do it that way you can get away without the waiting times of shipping and paying any money.

11. Cavedude

Member Cavedude GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If i were you try to find someone in your area who has a Pandora/MMS so you can just do it for free. Thats what i did mate