Anyone have really old android or ipad tablets that still work

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, as my signature says, I have a Motorola Xoom that still works, but the last time I used was in 2015.
My mom has an iPad she won in a raffle in 2013, and although it doesn't work as a new one, it works.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I have an HP Touchpad that still works, it's also a tablet from 2011 like the Xoom mentioned above. There are even still custom ROMs coming out for it with major Android builds, Evervolv came out with Oreo builds back in August which is (IMO) pretty impressive considering the specs of the thing.

I would imagine so long as you don't treat a tablet like garbage it'll last just as long as any other tech generally would. The only thing that'd probably cause a tablet to stop functioning (without being abused) is the internal battery outright dying, and that's kind of it really. I have laptops from the 90s that still work, I see no reason why the HP Touchpad I have would just suddenly stop working in 2035 either.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an old iPad 3 with the 30 pin connector that still works though it is stuck on IOS 9.x I think. Have not used it in a couple of years though and the battery may be going to hell. Every once in a while one of my kids will pull it out to play some games on.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My 2013 nexus 7 still works fine, lineageos on it. Down volume button is a little dodgy these days, but overall it's still fine.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
All my old Android devices still work. Of course they're not especially useful since they can't run any remotely recent Android version and many apps don't work on older versions, and even the apps that do run are slow because old Android devices were slow and it's only gotten worse now that apps are designed with more powerful devices in mind.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I still have my xperia pro (mk16a). the battery is in bad shape (like half its original capacity) and the camera button works when it feels like doing it. aside from that it still works very well, I could use it as a high quality audio player since the sound quality is still amazing.

I also have (or rather not, a friend has it right now) a nokia 6630 still in working condition (don't know about the battery though) and loaded with all sort of apps and games, I used to copy full movies and some episodes of anime too (with subtitles, I have perfect vision), maybe there are still some there. I should try to get a stereo headphone adapter and listen how well its sound capabilities were since I only had a mono headphone adapter back then when it was my current phone and used it only when my main audio player ran out of battery.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...I'm not sure you want to count it as a tablet, but my ebook reader still works. It was one of the first generation: a Sony PRS-T1 from 2011. It uses electronic ink and I only rarely use it, but it still reads books fine.

Granted: at first I didn't even knew android 2.3 was the underlying operating system (it has a COMPLETELY different interface for everything), but my attempt at rooting it worked. Then I figured out that the refresh rate of the black&white screen simply wasn't worth it for anything but its purpose (you CAN browse the internet...you CAN watch the most choppiest version of youtube...you CAN probably install apps on it...but it'd be like browsing the web on an original nokia :P ), so I went back to just reading books on it. :P

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not a tablet, but I believe I still have a 2nd or 3rd gen iPod Touch from 2009 somewhere that's still fully operational. Like others have said above, as long as you take care of the device, it should last until the battery gives out. The battery would probably die first in perfect operating scenarios, before other components give out.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Somewhere around here I have a windows CE tablet that, aside from the battery, still works as intended.

I try to keep a few older devices around too as there was a bit of a fad for controlling expensive industrial equipment (price, the scrap value is more than your house) from them -- nobody wants to spend a small fortune paying an electrical engineer to design something when they can buy in a bluetooth/wifi chip, drag in a just finished university programmer for a couple of months to throw together something having maybe no more than 15 buttons, before never updating again (it is not like anybody cared when their previous system used an old PC) and have the customer provide the nice touchscreen.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Yeah, have about 5-6 Android burners and they all still work. Great for phone calls and as music players.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over