Gaming Anyone Else Was Disappointed With Ghost of Tsushima Despite Liking The Story?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,206
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted User

OP
I gave the game two chances and ended up dropping it two times, mainly because of the following reasons:
a) the game is structured in a very poor way with each mission starting at a specific place, with each mission proceeding in the exact same way: start the mission, go to a location and / or track footprints, enemies appear, fight, mission over. I was doing the Ishikawa series of quests first and it was such a chore.. every mission felt the same and from what I understand, that's how the game goes on until the end.
b) the gameplay is trying too hard to be realistic.
I got to the moment where you are able to switch between two stances and it felt like there's no need to change those stances at all. Sure, water stance staggers enemies better, but there's no real incentive for any of it. Playing on Lethal does make the combat much better and it requires you to pay attention but it just doesn't feel rewarding, I guess? There's more work on Lethal but that doesn't change the core of the gameplay which was clearly developed as an "on the rails" type of game you'd see in the previous generation.. It just happened to have open world which gives you the illusion of freedom when the game is extremely linear.

I feel like Ghost of Tsushima's main issue is that the gamedesign is stuck in the past-gen and the only few modern elements are open-world (which had no chance to be as detailed as Rockstar games anyway). Really wanted to like it because of the story but I don't know... maybe I'll get it when it drops to 15-20$. I'm not sure.
The cinematography is actually really great in the game, whoever did the camerawork and overall visuals (except animations which are often wonky) deserves massive praise, the voice-actors and the story is actually good, the dialogue is indeed nice and doesn't feel fake despite being honorable... it's just bloated with missions that feel like forced side-quests.
My guess is that Ghost was received so well because the audience was hungry for a new AAA game that doesn't play politics and propaganda like Last of Us 2 did. It's similar to the whole thing with Sonic movie. Sonic movie wasn't bad but it's obvious that it was criticised because it dared to release close to that Birds of Prey film, and the politicized people of the Internet wanted to have everyone and their families watch Birds of Prey... :bow: Crazy times we live in..

Also I feel like this complaint about the outdated gamedesign can be applied to all first-party Sony exclusives (SPider-Man, God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, Days Gone). If not for the Sony's massive ad-power, brand and big ideas ("here's a good spider-man game", "here's a zombie outbreak game" etc.) - they wouldn't have been so successfull.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I'm so sick of open-world games I could puke. Your analysis can apply to open-world games just as easily. 8 hrs of actual story and 5,000 repetitive side missions to fool you into thinking the game is 40 hours long.

D

Deleted User

OP
Nope. I'm so sick of open-world games I could puke. Your analysis can apply to open-world games just as easily. 8 hrs of actual story and 5,000 repetitive side missions to fool you into thinking the game is 40 hours long.
My "analysis" can apply to open-world games just as easily... and? Not all open-world games are bad, not sure why this needs to be said. The problem with Ghost is different - it's outdated game design.
Repetitive side-missions are fine as long as they are not forced.

I suggest finding another hobby if this one makes you want to puke and you can't refrain from vulgar language when discussing it.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
I had a rental of it and played 50 hours I enjoyed it. Way better than Last of Us 2 the most disappointing sequel of all time.

Most first party Sony games were really good on PS4 they just were. Days Gone I'll give you that was a disappointment but everything else was solid or better except again Last of Us 2. You can dislike them if you want but acting like it was just marketing that make them successful is just wrong.

I assume you're out on Sony and not getting a PS5 because I'm pretty sure you're going to mostly see sequels when it comes to their first party AAA titles more of the same so if you don't like it don't buy a PS5.

Last edited by ,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My "analysis" can apply to open-world games just as easily... and? Not all open-world games are bad, not sure why this needs to be said. The problem with Ghost is different - it's outdated game design.
Repetitive side-missions are fine as long as they are not forced.

I suggest finding another hobby if this one makes you want to puke and you can't refrain from vulgar language when discussing it.

Vulgar language? MMMM'kay buddy. Are you 3 yrs old? I suggest finding another hobby if someone elses opinion on an open forum butt hurts you so damn much. You asked for opinions, I gave mine. If you don't want responses you may not agree with, don't ask the question. It all seem pretty basic to me. Shrug. Buh-bye. Try not to cry too much about it kiddo.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this is what I was worried about GoT. while I like stealth games, I don't like open world games. The only open world game that I nearly finished was spiderman, but it's kinda worth it because I was so immersed with the world, others, not so much

Looks like I will skip it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O