Anyone else having 5.1 Dolby Digital issues?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by wurstpistole, Mar 3, 2017.

1. wurstpistole
    OP

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Hi, so normally my Samsung KS7090 gets the 5.1 via HDMI and outputs it to my receiver. Works fine with PS4, Xbox One, Amazon, Netflix and so on. Switch only gives Stereo, regardless whether I set surround in the system settings. Anyone else having issues here?

2. tenaciousdave

tenaciousdave Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2006
    United States
    Same problem here using a Samsung KS8000. I ran the HDMI directly to my receiver and surround sound worked fine afterwards.

3. wurstpistole
    OP

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Ah, crap. The TV recognizes the signal and lets you choose which one to output but it seems the switch won't identify correctly as putting out a Dolby signal. Thats a switch issue though, as all other sources do it fine.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ah and I found out what the issue is. The switch doesn't support Dolby digital. It outputs uncompressed 5.1 PCM which either the TV or my receiver won't understand as 5.1 signal. Pity.

migles likes this.
  4. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Another kink for a software update to iron out. My options for surround sound with Switch are pretty much non-existent, unfortunately.

5. tenaciousdave

tenaciousdave Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2006
    United States
    Yup. My receiver shows it as 5.1 PCM. What receiver are you using? Most support PCM.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Wii U only supported Linear PCM for 5.1, so it's not surprising that Switch also only supports Linear PCM. (Probably due to licensing fees that Nintendo doesn't want to pay.)