Anyone adopt a pet before?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by HelloKitty, Mar 27, 2007.

Mar 27, 2007

Anyone adopt a pet before? by HelloKitty at 12:48 AM (1,516 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. HelloKitty
    OP

Member HelloKitty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was looking to adopt a puppy..
    But around my area, I haven't been able to find a nice little puppy [​IMG]
    I would love a Maltese.
    I wish I could just avoid to buy one, but I heard they are around 800 to 1,000 dollars.
    Any suggestions?
    Maybe one of you guys have a dog that is going to have puppies soon! [​IMG]

2. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    puppies are prob going to be hard to find, check your shelter, puppies are usually the first to go. also check your local ads i've sold some yorkish puppies really cheap ($200) and they all sold in 2 days (my dog had 5 puppies). and yea dogs do sell for alot, my york female cost me $800 and the male $600

best bet is check your shelters or keep a eye out on your local paper or ads

3. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    got a maltese, pain in the ass man... they dont listen to anything you say have serious attitude problems. really cute dogs though, and they will love ya to death

i think just adopting any puppy you like from a shelter would be the way to go, those dogs really need it man

4. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Yup, got a mini-dachshund puppy before, hyperactive as hell. It's awesome how he "drifts" while turning when they run because of his long body. He won't listen either but just seeing him skid around the house is always fun. ;-; Good times.

The only dog I've ever loved lol. Too bad we had to give him to a friend when we moved to Hong Kong. [​IMG]
    We were also gonna get a husky from a friend but ended up not getting him since it's too frikken hot here in the Philippines. Damn, the husky looked kickass too. :'(

People who adopt pets are always awesome. Don't buy pets, just like kristijan08 said, there are alot of them needing love too. [​IMG]

(A maltese is too "holllywood" for my tastes but I'm a cat person though.)

5. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Back in Uzbekistan, my bro adopted a chicken from a nearby farm, however 2 month later, the family thought it was stupid to keep a chicken as a pet and they cooked it. My bro was really sad, he was only 4... poor bastard [​IMG].

6. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    My father also "adopted"(stole) a goat from a local university. I think they took care of him about a year or so, but in the day of my birth they gutted him in some sort of ritual sacrifice. (true story)

7. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    I has a white wolf as my pet... that was long time ago [​IMG]

[​IMG] missed him.....

8. lookout

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Maltese cute [​IMG]

9. Takrin

United States
    i did have a pet possum, their quite smart and loyal, also their tiny and cute when their a baby. all i have to say is their way smarter then rodents that they are (also it wasnt locked away it was free to roam the house and was potty trained)

sadly my redneck neighbor shot it for sports not knowing it was owned, apparently thats what they do here, shoot small animals

10. elfgirl_45

Member elfgirl_45 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Our 2 cats and dog were adopted/rescued, I think it's the best way to go. I think the only way I won't adopt an animal is if they're near impossible to find through adoption (I might want to get a Shiba Inu someday, I know that will be mission impossible trying to adopt one instead of a breeder.)

Oh yeah, you should definitely try www.petfinder.com.

11. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    What a sad story..
    I've always wondered if they could be domesticated. Seems like they'd be less troublesome than coons.
    Any chance you've got any pics?
    (I really dig possums! They're even cuter than Maltese puppies!)

12. Takrin

United States
    nope no pictures, i think most animals can be domesticated i got mine when it was really young, i found it alone in my back yard abandoned by its mother. racoons do look really cute too and the fact they wash food, always wanted one when i was little also check your state law, its not always legal to get animals from wild for some reason, like its not legal to get wild animals from inside my state but you can buy and bring over the same animal from another states or something stupid like that

13. Gooseman

Newcomer Gooseman Advanced Member

Germany
    We have 2 dogs adopted and they weren't puppys at that time! So go and get an older pet it will be happy about it!

14. lookout

United Kingdom
    Thieves steal puppies at gunpoint

they got their puppies back - still one missing

Man Steals Puppy In His Pants

15. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    More proof that mthrnite really IS from the south. Dont know bout Takrin tho... [​IMG]