Hacking Anybody try sending mod attempted wii back to N?

thomaspajamas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice guys.  We'll open it up again next week to double check that we put everything together right.

But if it still doesn't work, maybe if we clean up all the solder enough we can just say that when the dvd drive stopped working we had to open the system to get our game out---because the warranty says to make sure theres nothing in your system when you send it in for repair, because they wont send it back.

and we didn't want to lose our precious game, so we had to open it...
smile.gif

1.Stop using "we" your typing this alone and not 2 people
2.Thats called scamming and its illigal

He's actually my conjoined twin-brother so we have no choice. Thanks for making us feel self-concious

bttfpromo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is the wrong place to pointing out to people that they are doing something illegal. Just by modding the Wii they did something illegal but you dont see anyone complaining about that. Just my 2 cents.

A backup device is not illegal. You're combining two pieces of hardware that you bought legally.

It all depends what you do with the combo that decides if it's illegal or not.

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so if i buy a car, i cannot change it in anyway at all? i bought the Wii and the Wiikey legally (both item are considered as legal in the US) and i decided to attach the Wiikey with my Wii. what is illegal about that?

This is the wrong place to pointing out to people that they are doing something illegal. Just by modding the Wii they did something illegal but you dont see anyone complaining about that. Just my 2 cents.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most of the suggestions here are illegal.. and in the UK at least fraud is a criminal offence. Not a civil offence like copyright infringement. Watch out for carefully dropped bars of soap..

Seriously; You took the gamble to mod and you lost. Grow up, admit you lost and buy a new Wii.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so if i buy a car, i cannot change it in anyway at all? i bought the Wii and the Wiikey legally (both item are considered as legal in the US) and i decided to attach the Wiikey with my Wii. what is illegal about that?

The wiikey is used to circumvent copy control correct? It's illegal in the US under the DMCA. Your car analogy is crap too, if you buy a car and remove the restrictor etc you are breaking the law. I know that it's illegal in a lot of European countries to do *ANY* engine mods and most external mods are also prohibited. There again you don't even have road worthiness testing over there do you? doh.

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you forget other function of Wiikey - playing other region games. Region lock is crap

Legal design

In addition to technical measures, regional lockout schemes are generally supported by legal measures. For example, the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) has a clause that covers "circumventing a scheme used to restrict access to copyrighted material" that may be used to prosecute people who ignore, circumvent, or crack a regional lockout scheme.

Often such regional restrictions are in conflict with national law, for instance in pioneering regions such as Hong Kong, where parallel import is expressly allowed and supported by government bodies. Also, the High Court of Australia has recently concluded that modification of devices to circumvent region lockout is allowed under Australian law[1].

It also violates the international copyright treaty [2], Article 4[3], which equates electronic media with that of other literary works such as books, with the copy owner having the right to buy, read, and sell the material anywhere in the world, as well as Article 10 [4], which prohibits the introduction of national legislation that limits copy owners normal use.

Criticisms

* It prevents (or complicates) legitimate enjoyment of a product that has been legally obtained in a different territory, e.g. DVDs purchased by tourists, given/sent as gifts or brought by immigrants.
* Regional lockout promotes copyright infringement, software cracking, and modding, as it makes the 'official' version of a product less desirable due to the restrictions placed on it (as in the above case of a user relocating to another region).
* It allows items to be launched at different times in different places, so eager customers in some countries must wait for the items to be sold locally (which may never happen) instead of importing them sooner.
* It allows price-discrimination, which may be illegal in some countries.

Wikipedia entry on Region Lockout

And yeah moshii, you are right. i guess US is one of the countries where doing that is illegal. Anyways, soon i'll be moving back to my country where it is legal to do so..

The wiikey is used to circumvent copy control correct? It's illegal in the US under the DMCA. Your car analogy is crap too, if you buy a car and remove the restrictor etc you are breaking the law. I know that it's illegal in a lot of European countries to do *ANY* engine mods and most external mods are also prohibited. There again you don't even have road worthiness testing over there do you? doh.

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice guys. We'll open it up again next week to double check that we put everything together right.

But if it still doesn't work, maybe if we clean up all the solder enough we can just say that when the dvd drive stopped working we had to open the system to get our game out---because the warranty says to make sure theres nothing in your system when you send it in for repair, because they wont send it back.

and we didn't want to lose our precious game, so we had to open it...
smile.gif

1.Stop using "we" your typing this alone and not 2 people

What was the point of that post?
Since you were so quick to correct his terrible mistake I thought I might point yours out!
ILLEGAL is not spelt "illigal"
CHILL OUT!!
cry.gif

Mine was just a typo.
It annoys me when people talk in pural

I agree, we are not amused.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You knew that you were taking the risk when you opened up the wii. See if you can somehow get a new wii drive on ebay, or buy another wii. You learn from your mistakes, next time you know to get someone who knows how to mod the wii to fit the chip.

thomaspajamas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just double check the ribbon cable , i had the same problem and it was only because the ribbon cable connector was unclipped and the cable did not do contact.

Just an update if anyone still cares but...

IT WORKS!!!

turns out the ribbon cable wasn't in all the way...
rolleyes.gif

so I'm happy. I can't even explain to you guys the feeling of opening up a broken wii and just seeing a cable unplugged. we were just like ahhhhhh.

So thanks again for everyone's advice and support!

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just double check the ribbon cable , i had the same problem and it was only because the ribbon cable connector was unclipped and the cable did not do contact.

Just an update if anyone still cares but...

IT WORKS!!!

turns out the ribbon cable wasn't in all the way...
rolleyes.gif

so I'm happy. I can't even explain to you guys the feeling of opening up a broken wii and just seeing a cable unplugged. we were just like ahhhhhh.

So thanks again for everyone's advice and support!

enjoy your wii
grog.gif

pnag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This one's for moshii, and anyone else interested too!

Sure, I take your point that the DCMA law makes modding illegal, but where will this all end?

Think about it - imagine buying a Harley and not being able to personalise it (never mind engine, even sticking flame decals on it, cause you'd be altering the original). Time was, when you bought an item, you owned it! If I want to forfeit the warranty of my wii by pouring gas on it and flicking a match, it shouldn't be anybody else's business. Again, I know that the chips are used to circumvent copy protection, but there is the region argument and homebrew to think of too...

Yes, I really can see the legal argument, but really, where will it all end? Soon, the consumer will have no rights at all...

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've sneded in my wii to ninty yesretday in the morning so it should be there now.
the guy on the phone told me that the modchip will still be inside my wii, he also called a technical fo this question. so i will have to pay 73€ and my wii will be as new as on release, i think. when i'll get it i will order a lan adapter so this thing will never happen to me again

i'll keep you informed if they repair my wii for a fee or not

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Sure, I take your point that the DCMA law makes modding illegal, but where will this all end?
Personally, I could care less about DCMA laws even if they would apply to me. When I buy a Wii it's my property, and whether or not I modify it is of no consequence to anyone.

It's what you do with your mod where the questions arise, whether they consider legality or decency. Of course, downloading or wildly copying software is a crime. There's just no way to put lipstick on that pig. Yet, one could always argue that software which is copied wouldn't have been bought anyway, even though I wouldn't agree to that reasoning.

But what really ticks me off is people who ruin their stuff and putting their screwup on other people. If you freck up your Wii and then return it under false pretences to receive another one, you are actually hurting every other customer. At the very end, the cost of exchanged hardware goes back into the retail price of every unit. It's nothing short of saying "it's my fault but I let everyone else who's not modding their hardware or who's proficient enough to do it right pay for it". I am not advocating physical punishment, but I strongly feel that everyone practicing this or recommending this practice should receive a thorough beating.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When I tried to mod my playstation 1 I broke it. In the early mod chip days of the xbox, I broke my xbox trying to chip it. I took it on the chin and just got another one. I never tried taking it back to the shop as it was my fault. If you don't want to break your console and can't afford another one. Either don't chip it or pay for someone to chip it for you.

These days I do a lot of research by looking at videos and reading other peoples posts. Then I decide if I can mod the console. With the wii chips being so small and the PCB not being as easy to solder as they say, I'm still waiting to fit mine. I'm just waiting for a mod chip that anyone can fit and they don't need to be brilliant with a soldering iron.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This one's for moshii, and anyone else interested too!

It also makes devices for rom/media dumping illegal even for personal use. Thereby removing your right to make backups and use them.

QUOTE said:
Think about it - imagine buying a Harley and not being able to personalise it (never mind engine, even sticking flame decals on it, cause you'd be altering the original). Time was, when you bought an item, you owned it!

The problem is this .. when you buy an item like say a pasty it's yours and you can do with it as you like, eat it, feed it to ducks... With most consumer devices these days are you really licensing the right you use that technology within the vendors rules, instead of buying the item outright.[1] I my opinion this is a big problem, basically whenever you buy anything you've magically signed a EULA without seeing it let alone agreeing to it and your hands are tied.[2] The EU are very against this sort of practise, the US on the other hand is run by the sort of people that create EULAs and other crap in the first place and laws like the DMCA magically appear to reinforce dirty practises.

QUOTE said:
If I want to forfeit the warranty of my wii by pouring gas on it and flicking a match, it shouldn't be anybody else's business. Again, I know that the chips are used to circumvent copy protection, but there is the region argument and homebrew to think of too...

Burning your wii is fine, you're not *mis*-using licensed technology by doing so.

Yes, I really can see the legal argument, but really, where will it all end? Soon, the consumer will have no rights at all...

Nail, head.

It doesn't stop here though no no no... Not to be anti-American but this is all America's fault. Take a look at what America is currently doing to online gambling, they've been told off by the WTO for it for breaking international laws. The uppercrust in the US can't stand the thought of loosing money. Be it to pirates, china,.. and this isn't a recent thing either. Read up on what America did in Japan after WWII in an attempt to kill the zaibatsu companies like Sony.. Why? because they did better in American than any native company could.

[1] There was a case in the US that decided that if such a "license" is paid for once and kept for life it isn't really a license and you have bought the physical device/application and the right to use it how you like with in the law...
[2] Note that EULAs aren't and never will be legally binding in most of the EU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: off to make lunch. L8er guys :) [ham sammies]