Any way to stop 3DS asking to update?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by speedy2721, Aug 31, 2013.

1. speedy2721
    OP

speedy2721 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Is there anyway to stop the 3DS from asking to update every time I turn it on? I'm worried I might hit Ok on accident.

I already have parental controls on and my wifi is turned off, so would hitting Ok even do anything?

2. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    I think that's what the parental controls are for in the first place. No, I believe it would not allow an update by anyone without the PIN # you entered before. This includes game updates as well.

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The update is on the SD, you can delete it from there, not sure which file it is though.

I read that that was disabled, parental controls do not stop updates anymore, they're just used to stop the system from getting online.

4. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    Really? Was that before or after 4.5?

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Idunno' the specific version, all I know is when it happened we saw more people that ended up updated because advice like "Don't go online" is too complicated for them to handle.

Boy12 likes this.
  6. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    By any chance do you have the article that states this? Maybe we can tell by when it was posted.

7. 59672

59672 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Same as what I heard, the recommendation to put on parental settings was apparently just to stop yourself or someone else using your 3ds from accidentally going online and updating. The parental controls themselves just being there to stop you from adding a connection to begin with.

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    There was no article, we just ended up with a bunch of threads here of people complaining that they updated their systems and wanting to downgrade even with parental controls on.

Like the above poster said, nowadays people are just saying to use the controls to make sure the system never goes online.

9. mr. fancypants

mr. fancypants that´s ´Sir´ for you!

Jul 16, 2013
    Netherlands
    right here, right now
    the 3ds ask it twice if u really want to update the 3ds

10. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    there is a way to remove the Update message

if you have a NDS flashcard run the Gateway Hack Installer, it removes the annoying message