Hacking Any way to softmod 2.1e with disc drive not working?

tomwalsh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone help me out here, just got an old Wii and I want to softmod it. The problem I have is the disc drive is broken and it's on firmware 2.1e. I can't Bannerbomb it? I can update it to 4.3e through the wii but I then need Indy game to run the hack for softmod!!

I think I'm screwed but I need confirmation from someone. The disc drive will still pull in the disc but it makes funny noises and I get the this disc cannot be read, blah blah blah

Any help is appreciated.........

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
well, only because your wii is old enough to have bootmii installed as boot2, you can use a nand programmer (ie. infectus) to flash bootmii @ boot2 onto your nand chip. And from there u will be able to install the homebrew channel, then u can softmod your Wii like any normal person would.

btw, infectus nand programmers are hard to come by these days, and even less people know how to use them properly.

The guru of infectus is deadlyfoez, you can email him at:
[email protected]

I'm positive he will be able to get your wii softmodded without needing your disc drive, and it will probably only cost u around $40 for his time. But u could always try to fix/replace the disc drive yourself instead then softmod like normal, but I'm not sure how much that would cost or how hard it is to do.

If its under warranty, u can always just send it to ninty to fix... but i doubt its under warrantly otherwise u probably woulda done that already.

good luck!

tomwalsh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
well, only because your wii is old enough to have bootmii installed as boot2, you can use a nand programmer (ie. infectus) to flash bootmii @ boot2 onto your nand chip. And from there u will be able to install the homebrew channel, then u can softmod your Wii like any normal person would.

btw, infectus nand programmers are hard to come by these days, and even less people know how to use them properly.

The guru of infectus is deadlyfoez, you can email him at:
[email protected]

I'm positive he will be able to get your wii softmodded without needing your disc drive, and it will probably only cost u around $40 for his time. But u could always try to fix/replace the disc drive yourself instead then softmod like normal, but I'm not sure how much that would cost or how hard it is to do.

If its under warranty, u can always just send it to ninty to fix... but i doubt its under warrantly otherwise u probably woulda done that already.

good luck!

Thanks for the advise, I will look into this.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try to clean the dvd drive and lay the wii flat on its side. You may want to consider fixing/replacing the drive because if its function continues to degrade you will have errors even after you softmod the wii.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You could host a private NUS-like environment on your PC and use the Wii's built in update feature. Set up the file structure (somewhere on wiibrew), host it on your webserver and toss in whatever SM/IOSes you want.

Edit: also maybe Wode, Sunkey, or other drive replacement-type modchips

tomwalsh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thesund0g said:
You could host a private NUS-like environment on your PC and use the Wii's built in update feature. Set up the file structure (somewhere on wiibrew), host it on your webserver and toss in whatever SM/IOSes you want.

This seems like an interesting way to update to 4.2e and not 4.3e through Nintendo's server.....

I wouldn't know where to start, can you point me in the right direction on where to get a guide on how to achieve this, Thanks.

QUOTE(mauifrog @ Nov 12 2010, 05:01 AM) Try to clean the dvd drive and lay the wii flat on its side. You may want to consider fixing/replacing the drive because if its function continues to degrade you will have errors even after you softmod the wii.

Can you explain how this would cause errors? and will I need to open the wii up to clean?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tomwalsh said:
thesund0g said:

This seems like an interesting way to update to 4.2e and not 4.3e through Nintendo's server.....

I wouldn't know where to start, can you point me in the right direction on where to get a guide on how to achieve this, Thanks.

I don't know if this has ever been done...someone was toying with the idea a while back though.

If there is a guide on doing this, I'd be interested in it as well.
tomwalsh said:
QUOTE(mauifrog @ Nov 12 2010, 05:01 AM)
Try to clean the dvd drive and lay the wii flat on its side. You may want to consider fixing/replacing the drive because if its function continues to degrade you will have errors even after you softmod the wii.

Can you explain how this would cause errors? and will I need to open the wii up to clean?
Unless the drive is completely missing, there won't be any errors. It just won't read discs. If you plan to use a USB loader, fixing the drive is pointless. My friend has a wii with a dead DVD drive and it works fine with USB loader.

As for cleaning it, Nintendo makes a cleaning kit for the drive. You could try that.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought banner bomb (the 4.0 version) worked fine on older versions of the system menu... At least on the 3.x firmwares...

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pippin666 said:
Replace drive, update trough Nintendo's server, use sticky guide.

Pip'
He's trying to avoid replacing the drive...

QUOTE(koji2009 @ Nov 13 2010, 03:56 PM) I thought banner bomb (the 4.0 version) worked fine on older versions of the system menu... At least on the 3.x firmwares...
Never tried it on 2.x, but BB v1 does work on 3.x.

He probably should try it. There's nothing to lose here. Worst that can happen is his wii freezes when he goes into data management...

tomwalsh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
techboy said:
He probably should try it. There's nothing to lose here. Worst that can happen is his wii freezes when he goes into data management...

I've tried all bannerbomb versions which resulted in a freeze. A friend asked me to softmod this for him. I'm aware now that I cannot bannerbomb with 2.1e firmware, I cannot update firmware through discs (obviously) and I cannot update through Nintendo server as I will then require a disc to softmod with firmware 4.3e = screwed, unless money is passed for either a new disc drive or a programmer to do it for me (infectus), so unless there is a cheap(free) way of updating it to 4.2e I think my friend has a nice brick at home, except for the Mii channel, that works fine
yaywii.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Rx-KuevU4h4?si=1MoSvL-y5fFFHf58 Damn kinda sad for Iran