Hardware Any way to get DIGITAL audio from the Wii? USB Sound Card?

shawly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there,

isn't there any single way to get digital audio from a Wii?

I'd like to connect all my older gaming systems from my CRT to a Toslink switch and a proper DAC, because I'd like to use my headphone, since the buzzing noise of the CRT is kind of annoying.
The Xbox and PS2 are no problem but the Wii is the only system which doesn't provide any way to get digital audio from it.

I know there are things like the WiiDual but ordering one with customs fee included + an HDMI audio extractor would cost me more than a used Wii U, apart from the fact that my RVL-CPU-01 isn't even compatible with WiiDual.

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Considering the console only has an analog output, any way of retrieving the digital signal would have to be done internally, and I'm unaware of any methods. Even if a HDMI adaptor was made with toslink support, it would still be converting analog to digital.

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi there,

isn't there any single way to get digital audio from a Wii?

I'd like to connect all my older gaming systems from my CRT to a Toslink switch and a proper DAC, because I'd like to use my headphone, since the buzzing noise of the CRT is kind of annoying.
The Xbox and PS2 are no problem but the Wii is the only system which doesn't provide any way to get digital audio from it.

I know there are things like the WiiDual but ordering one with customs fee included + an HDMI audio extractor would cost me more than a used Wii U, apart from the fact that my RVL-CPU-01 isn't even compatible with WiiDual.

To have spdif/optical you have to build the same interface used for spdif out on gamecube; with a TC9231N. The schematics are the same, you only need to locate the appropriate pins on the DAC. I remember someone doing it on assemblergames, maybe he was citrus3000psi (maker of hdmi out board for gamecube/wii/dreamcast).

If you only want to connect an headphone just connect the audio cables from wii to your amplifier (usually they have an headphone input) or to an amplified headphone. If you have a dolby pro logic amplifier you can have up to 5.1 audio using only the stereo cables from the wii, no need for optical out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Please click all suspicious links sent your email