ROM Hack Any walk through walls cheats for mario and luigi paper jam

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No idea if someone has gone there before, I presume you have looked in the usual suspects for cheat databases for this system/game.

Walk through walls can be a harder cheat to make than many others. You have three main approaches.
1) If there is some game item that allows it then do that. This is rare in games, however the developers might have left a debug mode in, left it in as a hidden mode for a cutscene or something (like you might get hidden invincibility for certain sections then same idea so the cutscenes are not bothered). I don't know that I would necessarily look for this over the other alternatives, more that if it exists in some kind of debug version or in game menu selected cheats then I might remake it as a memory cheat.

2) Actual walk through walls code by disabling collisions.
2a) You find the collision map and change that.

3) A position jog code. Relies on the idea that most games only care about you colliding with things and not where you are at any given point.

2) is going to involve editing the game's code where it meets things or handles movement. Find where the position on screen is made, might have to relate it to the more abstract stuff covered in 3), then watch movement options in normal movement, and then when you try to move and it finds something you don't want to move through, it will tend to be "if this then don't allow it, force them back/keep them on the tile they started on"*. 2d platformers where you might fall through the floor vs just wanting walls to not be there can be harder here, though usually floors and walls are separate concepts but I will skip ideas of level formats right now.
2a) relies on the idea that as far as hardware is concerned floor tiles, wall tiles and whatever else are just graphics and instead there is some logic underneath it all saying where the player can go, usually in the form of a "solid locations, not solid locations" map, maybe with modifiers for in game items (think boulders, trees, items, people in pokemon or something). Find this in memory, understand the format, and you can edit this to be something else. It is usually also how hidden passages as you might imagine from your classic 16 bit games tend to be sorted.

*if you ever watched the explanations for mario 64 parallel worlds/minimum A presses you might have seen it noted that position is checked every quarter of a frame. 3d games do this more, and might actually have a position reset if you are not inside the course it defines, 2d games tend not to care beyond the initial collision and will allow you wherever.

3) is harder to do as a code for people to do a general use with but easier than the alternatives in many ways.
Anyway you have two approaches used by games here; screen relative, level/room relative.
Screen relative is mostly for older games that are contained in one screen (no scrolling) but can still be seen in modern stuff. This will tend to mirror what is happening with the on screen hardware.
Level/room relative is more abstract and the game notes what position you are relative to the world it constructs of its own (allows levels bigger than fit on the screen, related to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true if you want an interesting link).
3d games tend to split the difference and might be both more abstract and tied to what is going on in hardware.
The trouble comes in you get to make button activators for each direction, and more if diagonals are a thing, and possibly more still if you need 2 tiles, 3 tiles, 4 tiles... movement for different purposes as you now have however many dozen cheats and have to remember what button combo does what.
If it is just for your purposes or for something very specific then you can make a "move to this location" (force location to be this value) or single "move 3 up from where I am now" (usually a cheat to add a certain value to the current location), or edit the memory manually. Some people doing screen grabs to capture whole maps/level images do this as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT