Gaming Any trading games on DS like Tradewinds?

pasz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very interested in games where you could explore different locations (whether interstellar or just geographic regions), buy low and sell high and make tons of cash. Anyone who has played a PC game called 'Tradewinds' would know what I mean. I thought turn-based trading-style games would be perfect for a DS port, since it wouldn't require lots of 3D graphics. So far I haven't had any luck finding any game that plays like it.

Does anyone know of a such a game on DS I could take a look at?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Elite would be the obvious start
http://quirkygba.blogspot.com/search/label/Elite
There is a nice GBA port from the same guy as well.

There is a GBA game called trade winds too. It should be up on filetrip although filetrip is down right now.

On a simpler note http://www.dragonminded.com/ndsdev/drugwars/ might be what you are after.

There are a couple of dungeon crawlers/roguelikes as well although they are probably not what you are after. POWDER in homebrew and Izuna in commercial being two good starting points.

There are a handful of Japanese games- stuff like Daikoukai Jidai IV: Rota Nova and if you are willing to push it Iron Master: The Legendary Blacksmith. I am hard pushed to name anything that saw an English language release though that was not a roguelike or something like rune factory or animal crossing which are more mining/farming than trading and better combining stuff from trade. If you do wish to head down that route consider Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island.

If you are willing to push it a bit then emulators of the old 16 bit systems are worth a look in- the genre being considerably more represented then. Anything prior to the 16 bit era aside from the amiga and a few choice machines is fairly well emulated not to mention SCUMMVMDS.

I have a feeling I missed some stuff as well. You are not looking at an abundance of games but you should be able to get something done.

pasz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks very much! I'd be trying out the games you referenced to. I particularly like the Drug Wars game, as I've played it obsessively on my PC years back. Looks good too.
wink.gif

I wonder why developers aren't looking at this genre though. I was able to play one on my lowly but defunct Palm. No luck with DS.

thetorsoboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno if this fits your bill, but GTA: Chinatown Wars also has a pretty decent drug dealing aspect of the game, even if it's just a side thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol