GCN Any Shells that Allow Full Size DVDs?

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to be ordering a Xeno GC chip for my GameCube so play some old backups and Homebrew games, but mini DVDs are expensive, and unlike full size DVDs, I don't have any lying around. Is there anywhere I can still get a GC shell that allows you to use full size DVDs? Preferably one that's pretty cheap, regardless of quality. As long as it's still available for purchase and ships to Canada.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Won't the laser not reach out far enough to read the entire dvd? Even if you did find a shell? I don't think a shell like that would exist, and if it did, it'd be a chinese ripoff gamecube. But you did say "Is there anywhere I can STILL get a GC shell..." so I could be entirely wrong.

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Won't the laser not reach out far enough to read the entire dvd? Even if you did find a shell? I don't think a shell like that would exist, and if it did, it'd be a chinese ripoff gamecube. But you did say "Is there anywhere I can STILL get a GC shell..." so I could be entirely wrong.
You used to be able to (see: GC Viper Shell/IcedCube shell) but those specific ones are rare and expensive nowadays. The laser won't be able to read the full thing, but the games are small enough to only take up the amount of space that a regular GC disc would.

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
^ Exactly that.

Maybe you could try Ebay.
I doubt their still in production so it might be a good idea to just switch to mini DVDs if you'd need to burn games.
Or switch to a bootdisk of Swiss (on mini DVD) or one of the gamecube exploit games and load everything via Swiss.
No more need to burn DVDs all the time.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I know, no one has reproduced any shells recently. So you are stuck with only the same ones that were produced at the time (viper shell etc).

They pop up on ebay a lot, in fact there are some on there now. But they are expensive. There's no cheap solution for full size discs anymore.

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
^ Exactly that.

Maybe you could try Ebay.
I doubt their still in production so it might be a good idea to just switch to mini DVDs if you'd need to burn games.
Or switch to a bootdisk of Swiss (on mini DVD) or one of the gamecube exploit games and load everything via Swiss.
No more need to burn DVDs all the time.
But I like burning DVDs :P Would Verbatim DVDs work okay? Or will the GC read them? (These ones: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0007OEQKY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0tsKxbH5D4ZQJ)

Last edited by dj505,

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
I used to just take the top off of the gamecube. It got pretty annoying and decided to cash out on the mini dvds.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well there is always the Panasonic Q, the limited run version of the Gamecube made in a partnership between Nintendo and Panasonic that could actually watch DVDs. I always wanted one, would still love to get one, it's a sexy looking machine:
pq5.jpg

Reactions: KiiWii

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But I like burning DVDs :P Would Verbatim DVDs work okay? Or will the GC read them? (These ones: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0007OEQKY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0tsKxbH5D4ZQJ)

DVD-R is the correct choice yep.
Verbatim is a good brand to use (never had problems with them)

I really would consider just burning an exploitable game to the DVD and booting homebrew from there or make an auto boot Swiss DVD.
Seeing you can use SD cards in SD geckos to boot games from SD cards.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-gamecube-exploits.420900/
Here's a bit more info on it.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, no one has reproduced any shells recently. So you are stuck with only the same ones that were produced at the time (viper shell etc).

They pop up on ebay a lot, in fact there are some on there now. But they are expensive. There's no cheap solution for full size discs anymore.
i only found two From Portugal. I mean, 74 usd isnt bad for a rare casing.

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
DVD-R is the correct choice yep.
Verbatim is a good brand to use (never had problems with them)

I really would consider just burning an exploitable game to the DVD and booting homebrew from there or make an auto boot Swiss DVD.
Seeing you can use SD cards in SD geckos to boot games from SD cards.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-gamecube-exploits.420900/
Here's a bit more info on it.
Thanks! I'll order those Verbatim ones and see how they work after I mod my GC. I've already got Smash Bros Melee, if that's one of the games with the exploit.

Last edited by dj505,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks! I'll order those Verbatim ones anf see how they work after I mod my GC. I've already got Smash Bros Melee, if that's one of the games with the exploit.

Melee is one of the games with an exploit yes.

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
well there is always the Panasonic Q, the limited run version of the Gamecube made in a partnership between Nintendo and Panasonic that could actually watch DVDs. I always wanted one, would still love to get one, it's a sexy looking machine:
pq5.jpg
I've heard of those before, they're awesome! I'd love to get one but can't even imaging how much they'd cost.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr