Gwendall

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's pretty ignorant to completely discount a game due to hype. Not that FFVII's plot is on par with Shakespeare (who people love/hate as well), but how can you say it's crap without giving it a fair try. It seems like you got through Bioshock enough to make a judgment. I didn't care for the end half myself, but not to the point where I feel like I have to rain on everyone's parade.

Hell Sherlock Holmes and Conan are pulp, but there are people who heap on praise for their place in the literary world. I won't even dig into R.A. Salvatore's formulaic work.

I'll admit that I enjoyed FF6 much more than 7, but there were a number of advances in technology as well as some themes that were not explored in games to that point. Sure some may have been rehashed to exhaustion in various novels, but this reached a whole new audience.

Besides how our culture has progressed, I would also say that getting into books at this point can be pretty intimidating given all the choices out there today. After all people keep getting paid to write.
smile.gif

It also takes just a couple bad experiences to put someone off pretty fast. Robert Jordan's (RIP) Wheel of Time series I thought was good in the first few books before I realized that he would basically lead you nowhere. Yet there are plenty of people gushing over him as akin to FFVII fanboys you seem to detest so much. I had to do a lot of research to find authors and stories that fit my tastes. Some of them great epics by famous authors, some not so much.

So rambling aside (ha!): Yes people need to read more, but no matter what the medium do not immediately discount something because how much hype something does or does not have behind it.

P.S. I think this is starting to stray off topic, but I'd love to discuss this more in the appropriate forum.
P.P.S. I can't wait for DQ5 to come out. I think that will sate many people's appetites for the time being. If you're impatient and haven't played it yet, FFIV is a great game that fits the criteria.

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gwendall, definitely. We'll have to have a sophisticated discussion, rather than my inane ramblings. We must start another thread. Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Jei

Translator and romhacker wannabe
Trophies
Website
space.offgamers.com
XP
Country
Brazil
CAMILEonFORLYF said:
do you guys know any game with a love story thing going on?
smile.gif
Any turn/realtime Rpg I did play which relied on a love story failed hard and I sorta gave up on them halfway... Final Fantasy 8 comes to mind as the most sucking example ever.

My opinion tho... I prefer Rpgs where people are motivated by things they have to protect, may it be the world, their friends or even their own ego - if the story supports it good enough, why not.

If I'm looking forward lovely stories - pretty rare call - I just go play Visual Novels or Dating Simulators. They do that better than any Rpg could. It's a shame most of them are in japanese and never gets translated.

Cavedude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I second Rhapsody. I had it for a while, just havent played it ever. But i picked it up the other day cause i saw it was made from NIS, same creators of Disgaea, so i was like sure ill give it a shot. And from the 4 hours that ive played ill tell you that im extremely surprised and its a great RPG that i reccomend anyone playing. Especially if you want a lil romantic love in with it : ).

eltrut

Trophies
XP
Country
@ Private | Parts - Some video games couldnt be made into books as the experience of actually controlling the character. A good example of this sort of game would be one of the fable games (although to be fair their storylines were shocking) where you can craft the world around you sepending on your actions. If developers work more towards actual stories in this type of game then video game stories could easily better their writte counterparts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Large creep