Any reason to use VC over emulators?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Corrosive, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Corrosive
    OP

Corrosive Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2012
    United States
    Gulf Coast, Texas
    I've got a few VC games, but I'm interested in snes9x. Is there any advantage to using VC games over the emulator/rom version? Any disadvantages?

2. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    The dark part of your house
    VC runs at Full Speed
    Emulators can have other special features like cheats and stuff

3. FIBERFOX

FIBERFOX Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2016
    Canada
    Emulators have save states, fast forwarding, etc
    VC will work at full speed on all games

4. Corrosive
    OP

Corrosive Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2012
    United States
    Gulf Coast, Texas
    I understand you have to fiddle with the settings and stuff, (went through the trials and tribs of getting decent FPS snes PSP emulation) but how far off is the wii from full speed snes emulation?

5. Askot

Askot Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    Mexico
    If you're talking strictly about wii performance on snes emulation your best choice is retroarch snes9x-next core, a lot of games runs well at 60 FPS, even SFX chip games like Star Fox or Yoshi's Island, the major setting you must adjust is overclocking that is exclusive to sfx games. Kirby Dream Land 3 runs full speed too

Last edited by Askot, Jan 11, 2016
  6. soniccomcisbr

soniccomcisbr GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    @Askot you can be more specific? Only the SFX games that dont run full speed? Can you list them? and what number I must put in the overclock

7. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece
    StarFox for example. If you go to SNES9X Next core options and enable FX overclock @40MHz (or more if you wish, up to 100Mhz), you can play the game at a super smooth framerate, unlike the real hardware which ran the game at a single digit fps.

I personally don't use the overclock feature for other chip enhanced games, but here's a list FYI:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...of_Super_NES_games_that_use_enhancement_chips

Last edited by nakata6790, Jan 11, 2016
  8. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    @nakata6790 I want to see only the original console speed, sl, I must never touch this overclock then?

9. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    The only reason for emulating snes games with VC is only to go official with the Nintendo emulator. Snes9x next and Catsfc (based on snes9x too) are good emulators for the Wii, both cores emulate 99% of all the catalogue of snes games, some games run faster than the original game (super metroid intro runs without stuttering with catsfc, same as the vc emu), sfx games work really inaccurate (snes9x next) in comparison to the original cartridges, they have glitches or run faster, the overclock setting just make things worse, those games were made to run at low frame rates, but at least they are playable, something the vc emu will never do. I suppose it's a matter of preference too, you can test both and compare which suits better to your gameplay needs.

10. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
  11. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    One significant advantage is that VC games can be run directly from a channel on the Wii Menu.

12. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    You get that old nostalgia feeling if you use VC. That's just my opinion. I'd rather not be hunched over a computer using my keyboard to play a game on my PC. It just doesn't bring back that old felling. I purposefully bought a $5 old TV just to bring back the old feelings. :D

13. sindrik

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    I guess the only VC titles superior to current emulators on the Wii would be the Nintendo 64 ones. NES / SNES / Genesis / Turbografx plays almost flawlessly.

Oh, and maybe a couple of Neo Geo titles that were too big for emulators to load on RAM.

Last edited by sindrik, Jan 12, 2016
    ploder likes this.
  14. Askot

Askot Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    Mexico
    @soniccomcisbr, dude, I think you're are totally lost with any explanation that has been written here, do you know how to use an emulator? do you know what snes9x is? Just test and you will find out, that's the best way to learn

Last edited by Askot, Jan 12, 2016
  15. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    VC looks nice, but emulators otherwise mostly.

16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    No one's talking about PC. It's about emulators on Wii vs Wii VC (same thing really)
    The only way to get the proper nostalgia feel is with real hardware.

ngs428 and cvskid like this.
  17. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Real hardware with a flash cart. No more worries.

18. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    What are you talking about? I made the questions about the snex9x next core. What I want to know exactly is the best configuration for the games who uses SFX, and if I need the overclock to make it looks identical or near the original game speed on snes.

19. sindrik

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Nope.

20. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Oh, I'm sorry for stating my opinion? I'll make sure not to do that, even when I'm on topic :D