Any reason for fat 32

Kallim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wondering if there is any reason fat32 is recommended on the SD card when hacking the switch? Or even wider pretty much just consoles Wii, 3ds etc.

There's plenty of knowledgeable people on here using exfat because of the file size limit.... But it's still not the

The only thing I can think of is the consoles themselves usually format the system fat32 so it might be a manufacturer issue?

Does anyone know of Hb apps or games that don't run on exfat (or even NTFS but I don't know anyone using that?) or why fat32 is the recommended format?

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, on the start of the life of my Switch, I used exFAT and homebrew. I happily used that settings about a couple of years, until I started having some troubles. Yeah, the "exFAT ghost" had at long last reached me and it was a mess, cuz' I had to format and lose all of my data. From that point on, I use FAT32 no matter what (been 3 years without issue since then), because I was one of the people that did not believe there was some kind of corruption sooner or later with exFAT. Trust me, I took all the care in the world, I never exited applications abruptly, nothing like that. Always taking care of my SD, but it got fucked up.

So, in short, use FAT32, Because if you use exFAT be aware that, maybe not in a year or two, but sooner or later something is going to happen.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Nintendo's firmware has a bug that will corrupt ExFat SD Card. It rarely ever happens on unhacked consoles but due to how homebrew works (accessing multiple files on the SD Card at the same time) it becomes a lot more likely on a hacked console. The Fat32 version of their driver doesn't have that bug so it's safe to use. Once Atmosphere reimplements the FS system module it will be fine to use ExFat cards.

The reason it's recommended to use Fat32 on the 3DS is because the 3DS doesn't support ExFat cards at all. The Wii is likely the same.

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switch driver for exfat is so terrible its not a matter of if but when your sd card corrupts. 3ds uses fat32 past a certain sd card size otherwise it wont read sd cards above 64gig (I think)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For exFAT There is no journaling, so any interruption during data transfer often results in corruption and data loss. Due to how homebrew work on the switch, and if you use homebrew a lot then that is a headache for exFAT. You can do everything you can do on exFAT with FAT32 so no need with exFAT, there was the case of file corruption with Pokemon Sword and Shield for users on exFAT when the game came out, no issue for people for on FAT32.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just wondering if there is any reason fat32 is recommended on the SD card when hacking the switch? Or even wider pretty much just consoles Wii, 3ds etc.

There's plenty of knowledgeable people on here using exfat because of the file size limit.... But it's still not the

The only thing I can think of is the consoles themselves usually format the system fat32 so it might be a manufacturer issue?

Does anyone know of Hb apps or games that don't run on exfat (or even NTFS but I don't know anyone using that?) or why fat32 is the recommended format?
exFAT can corrupt your SD card, FAT32 cannot.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
exFAT can corrupt your SD card, FAT32 cannot.
I keep hearing about this, but haven't experienced anything yet with exFAT. I am not going to fuss with chopping up games into smaller files, so exFAT is a necessary evil.

Reactions: cobjak

cobjak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I keep hearing about this, but haven't experienced anything yet with exFAT. I am not going to fuss with chopping up games into smaller files, so exFAT is a necessary evil.
Same for me since day one 0 problem!

If you have a lot of games it is impossible to split all of them...

Also it's too annoying when you want to play fast a new leaked game and suddenly you need to split it for no reason before transferring on your SD...

Reactions: Jayro

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had my switch hacked since the fist SXOS exploit. 7TB of games and never a single issue with exfat. BUT, I dont do homebrew. They are really just read only. I have both SXOS and Atmo on an emunand for over a year with zero issues on exfat. Knock on wood!

Reactions: cobjak

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I guess this only matters if you have SXOS.
All other CFWs don't support XCI loading so you have to install the games anyway.

I too ran with exFat for about 2 years.
And then a single crash was all it took to wipe out my entire SD card.

cobjak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess this only matters if you have SXOS.
All other CFWs don't support XCI loading so you have to install the games anyway.

I too ran with exFat for about 2 years.
And then a single crash was all it took to wipe out my entire SD card.
I meant, it takes time to split all your hdd full of games aha instead of just copy past them easily in your exFAT without fear of this extremely rare issue of data loss

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same for me since day one 0 problem!

Also it's too annoying when you want to play fast a new leaked game and suddenly you need to split it for no reason before transferring on your SD...
if your installing games by dropping on the sd. your doing it wrong to begin with. fat32 and have never had to split any game.

Kallim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why to split? Just use MTP and no splitting required at all.
Is there a new version? The one I looked at had the max size of 4gb.otherwise you may as well use Hekate.

I usually use the shops( no need to split )... but it'd be nice to have an all in one program that splits and transfers. For stuff on the hard drive.

I believe nxsplitty is OK?

To be honest the 4gb thing is an age old multi platform Problem. I don't know why they're not pre-split with the folders zipped. It's already a zip or rar file you download so this would be easier.

Kallim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Omg. This again. Use FAT32. You are asking for it. Tinfoil MTP has an install folder. Drop it there and it installs. No splitting no hassel.

If you run ExFAT you deserve the issues. Don't come c
I'm on fat32.

You can just drag and drop to the install folder? I thought you had to use nut installer that's great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HoTuan @ HoTuan: how to mod switch ?