Any reason Cafiine requires kernel?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by devotedtoneurosis, Jan 16, 2016.

1. devotedtoneurosis
    OP

devotedtoneurosis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    Canada
    Any reason in particular? Is it possible to use it inside userland or is one of the functions it relies on only available with full kernel?

2. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    Cafiine patches coreinit.rpl's FS functions so that they'll first try to make filesystem requests over the network, and then revert back to the normal code path if that fails. Patching a system library is impossible in PPC user mode, since the Cafe OS kernel marks the libraries as read-only. You need PPC kernel access to reconfigure the memory permissions and make it writable.

GotKrypto67, memomo, Voxel and 3 others like this.
  3. devotedtoneurosis
    OP

devotedtoneurosis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    Canada
    Ah, that makes sense, thank you.

I guess I'm stuck waiting for kernel, any guess on when that might drop? I really want to get to work on Sm4sh hacking, hopefully making some tools myself and helping to document the file formats. I work as a programmer and if I could just get my hands on file replacement I could really put some work into the Sm4sh hack scene.

4. GOT4N

GOT4N GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Maybe a friend has Cafiine so you can dump from his WiiU, or maybe download the WiiU iso thing somewhere, as you do have the original CD or maybe ask someone to upload the extracted files?

5. devotedtoneurosis
    OP

devotedtoneurosis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    Canada
    Unfortunately I don't have any friends with Wii Us that aren't on 5.5.1, I do have the original Sm4sh CD, and I could get a dumped archive, however, that wouldn't let me test my hacks and file tinkering in real time like Cafiine would.

It's a shame that it can't be done in userland! I have zero interest in piracy but it looks like I'm stuck with testing until 5.5.0 kernel hits.