Homebrew Discussion Any predictions of what Switch could emulate?

Reploid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
IMG_20180601_200717.jpg

Currently Vita is my go-to portable emulator, and prolly will be for a while yet. But even toaster can run 8-32 bit consoles nowdays. How about PSP? Dreamcast? GC/Wii? Or maybe even almighty ultrarich PS2 library? I know WiiU can run PSP fluid enough, so switch will prolly too. But what else? Switch's hardware is no enigma, so I guess those who familiar with tablet hardware can already tell what to expect.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once someone figures out how to "overclock" it back up to the standard Tegra x1 specs, it should be able to run PS2 or Wii games. Theoretically. Whether they ever reach full speed is another matter. Gamecube should be well within its capabilities though. But again, this is all dependant on someone figuring out how to get the clock speed back up to normal. Shouldn't take too long though, as the Tegra X1 architecture is fairly well known already, which is also exactly why the Switch was hacked so quickly.

If you want to know what the Switch can be capable of, don't make another bloody thread about it. Just google videos of what people are running on the NVidia Shield set-top box.

Last edited by Nyteshade714,

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Once someone figures out how to "overclock" it back up to the standard Tegra x1 specs, it should be able to run PS2 or Wii games. Theoretically. Whether they ever reach full speed is another matter. Gamecube should be well within its capabilities though. But again, this is all dependant on someone figuring out how to get the clock speed back up to normal. Shouldn't take too long though, as the Tegra X1 architecture is fairly well known already, which is also exactly why the Switch was hacked so quickly.

If you want to know what the Switch can be capable of, don't make another bloody thread about it. Just google videos of what people are running on the NVidia Shield set-top box.

So it can be assumed that anything running on the shield could theoretically run on switch too?

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it can be assumed that anything running on the shield could theoretically run on switch too?

Exactly. The hardware is virtually identical, only the OS sitting on it is different. With the underclocking barricade removed, one can reasonably assume very similar performance and capability. There will be a few issues though: the Switch was underclocked for power and heat reasons. What this means is that when the clock speed is restored to 100%, battery power in handheld mode will significantly drop, and we may need to come up with creative solutions to cool the console while it is docked.

Reactions: Arithmatics

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Exactly. The hardware is virtually identical, only the OS sitting on it is different. With the underclocking barricade removed, one can reasonably assume very similar performance and capability. There will be a few issues though: the Switch was underclocked for power and heat reasons. What this means is that when the clock speed is restored to 100%, battery power in handheld mode will significantly drop, and we may need to come up with creative solutions to cool the console while it is docked.

Will those limitations be inherent to Nintendo's own design of the system seeing as they've used this underclocked model as a base for the switch instead of working with a full-powered system from the get-go?

Because i thought that's how overclocking works. not defaulting. Or does it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: wth