eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello, my friends!

Everybody should be aware by know that I have the slight tendency to find problems, or create them on occasion.

But this one is not from my own doing, promise!

I have a gamepad that doesn't register the start button.
I've found that this piece, C80, seems blown and the via comes from SW6, which is where the start button is.
IMG20240130111725_GS_[923x1231]_[0-0]_20240130112227198.png

Can anyone help me finding what part this is? I assume a capacitor, but can't find the specs...

Much love to you, my friends.

Reactions: Flame

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my friends!

Everybody should be aware by know that I have the slight tendency to find problems, or create them on occasion.

I've found that this piece, C80, seems blown and the via comes from SW6, which is where the start button is.
View attachment 417116
Can anyone help me finding what part this is? I assume a capacitor, but can't find the specs...

AcidMods seems to be the place to go for this sort of thing: https://acidmods.com/forum/index.php/board,357.0.html

Reactions: eyeliner

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Hello, my friends!

View attachment 417116

can't you just replace the tantalum capacitor with another one? you would need to use a solder, tho.

@Foxi4 any ideas?

Reactions: eyeliner

eyeliner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
can't you just replace the tantalum capacitor with another one? you would need to use a solder, tho.

@Foxi4 any ideas?
Indeed I could, but I have no idea of its values.

Oh, and no need to worry about soldering. I'm quite the adept at it, as you can confirm in my other topic.

I just soldered F2 fuse on my DS today, so... I can handle this one.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

@Foxi4 any ideas?
The general approach here is “find another known good board, take values and replace”, but I don’t have a board like that on hand right now.

@eyeliner A quick Google search shows that C80 has been a problem part before, but nobody’s listing a value. If you don’t have a second known good board, investigate the area for similar components in a similar arrangement, test those and try to match - what are the odds that different buttons would use different values? Failing that, throw a 22u at it and see what happens.

eyeliner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The general approach here is “find another known good board, take values and replace”, but I don’t have a board like that on hand right now.

@eyeliner A quick Google search shows that C80 has been a problem part before, but nobody’s listing a value. If you don’t have a second known good board, investigate the area for similar components in a similar arrangement, test those and try to match - what are the odds that different buttons would use different values? Failing that, throw a 22u at it and see what happens.
OK, I'll try that. Will post results, obviously.

@Foxi4
Might it be that that black/burnt part is preventing the cap from being grounded? Would that prevent the via to loose continuity until the hole a little up and right?

Edit: Scratch that. There's continuity until the top shield.

Edit 2:
Fix'd. I removed the cap, and as expected, the pads came with it (It WAS burnt, so I was expecting it).
After confirming that the button would still be usable without the cap, I bridged the via and it works.
fixd.png

IMG20240201114115.jpg

Let this be a lesson for yours truly:
When buying used, all sellers are liars.

Last edited by eyeliner,
Reactions: Flame and BigOnYa

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
OK, I'll try that. Will post results, obviously.

@Foxi4
Might it be that that black/burnt part is preventing the cap from being grounded? Would that prevent the via to loose continuity until the hole a little up and right?

Edit: Scratch that. There's continuity until the top shield.

Edit 2:
Fix'd. I removed the cap, and as expected, the pads came with it (It WAS burnt, so I was expecting it).
After confirming that the button would still be usable without the cap, I bridged the via and it works.
View attachment 417541
View attachment 417542

Let this be a lesson for yours truly:
When buying used, all sellers are liars.
Yeah, it’s a button, not a rocket. Not exactly a sensitive component, just about anything would probably work so long as there’s continuity. I do advise against testing continuity when capacitors are involved because, well, they’re capacitors - you’ll get false readings. If the pads are gone, you should scrape off a little bit of the trace, make a bridge and create a new pad. The easiest way to do it is to isolate a part of the ground layer by cutting it out from the rest and routing the bridge there. Tricky on a multilayered board because you don’t want to cut into any layers that are underneath, so care is required. That being said, there’s no need to fuck around with a fix that works unless you see some unexpected behaviour developing - these are just tips for future reference. Congrats on the fix!

Reactions: Flame and eyeliner

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.